• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thinking about a pico.

Egmel

There were a couple of discussions about using vases to make nice pico tanks, maybe with a few shrimp or something.

I wondered exactly how much this would cost so I did a little shopping research during my tea break.

Vase from Ikea I'm not sure but my best guess is it holds about 2l £3.99 (Ideally I'd like it to be a little bigger, though this was the best one I could find on their site, all the others that are taller look like they're smaller surface area - though saying that I'm sure I'll get to Ikea and find a completely different selection to choose from!)
Light from Ikea £2.49 I already have an 11w energy saving bulb to fit this lamp and it looks like you could get it a fair distance from the top of the tank to reduce the impact if needed.
Perspex sheet to make a lid. £2.35
Filter - AZOO MIGNON FILTER 150 (maybe overkill but it says you can limit the flow) £9.99

Total £18.82

Use EasyCarbo in place of CO2 and dose with DIY TPN+ haven't thought about substrates or plants yet would need to wait until I saw the 'tank' and light in the flesh I think.

So what do you think, would it be possible/advisable to make a desk tank like this?

aaronnorth said:
Edit: if its 2l then it will be ok for a few shrimp
2l was the min I was looking at doing. I was thinking about doing 50% changes twice a week (Mon and Thurs) but could probably stretch to Mon,Weds and Fri. I want to have this at work you see :)

This all sounds very familiar!

heres some pictures of something very similar I played with a couple of years ago -

Nano007.jpg

25-1.jpg

I still have the vase and might be tempted to try this again. Be ready to change the water frequently :D

planter said:
This all sounds very familiar!

heres some pictures of something very similar I played with a couple of years ago -

I still have the vase and might be tempted to try this again. Be ready to change the water frequently :D
It may have been some of those pics which got me thinking originally.

How often did you need to change the water and what was your dosing regime?

I was hoping on getting some smaller crypts in mine and an all round darker green feel. Maybe I should look at getting a taller vase with low light plants at the bottom that wont mind being further away from the light source. It would then give me more height for some taller stem plants if I wanted them.

Back