• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thinking about an Overhaul!

ale36

hello all, i have had my juwel tank set up as its is for the past 3 years, i have had different plants in it through out the years, i'm getting a little bored of this scape but more i'm getting jealous of other peoples escapes, it currently houses 2 boesemani rainbows and a Plec which loves to mess all over the tank as all he seems to eat is wood,
i was thinking to completely strip this tank and using Homebase John innes No3 as a substrate capped with some sand or cat litter.http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=604982

what i would like to ask is for some advice and opinions on what plants and scape would look good with this, ideally i like to work with the hard scape that i already have but i wouldn't mind taking things(wood/stones) out and replacing them with something else.

here is the tank in question i can never remember the actual dimensions or capacity of it but it it helps people to give me advice ill put it up later once i measure it:

841B57BA-FB87-4FFC-8D3B-FE6DD536A93A-853-0000010840482CC4.jpg
50D0D43C-A961-4DA7-956B-F805C3D18153-853-0000010855EB0523.jpg
80E772C7-577E-484A-9D6B-A53089D08EB8-853-0000010863D7F872.jpg

look forward to reading you opinions/criticisms

You could make it a root scape. That large piece of driftwood looks like it could make the perfect trunk. I guess you should be asking yourself whether you want high tech vs low tech, high maintenance vs low maintenance, which sorta scape would you like to emulate. Because the possibilities are seriously endless!

i was thinking about going the Low maintenance route with soil based substrate and infrequent EI dosing, i wouldn't mind a black water tank but i much rather have a nice green tank that i can show off

I agree with flgya could be a really good root scape, search for George farmers shallow scape for some inspiration, with the right plant choice you'll be onto a winner.

would you be able to get me a link to this scape tried the search bar with various phrases and words but it didn't return anything usable

thanks tim i been trying to place it all in my head and have a rough idea of how i want it, what low tec plants would you recommend? i was thinking something like mini hairgrass to form like a "grass field"

Hair grass can be a bit slow in low tech, lillaeopsis species or tennelus would be my choice with some crypts thrown in for texture or even some hygrophilia arguaia, really nice browny red thin leaved plant painfully slow low tech but still I like it. This will look good when it gets going mate, will you run a journal ?

Yes I will I probably won't start it until beginning if Sept as I'm goin to Maga at the end of the month but as soon as I'm back ill make a start. I will have to set up a temp home for the 2 rainbows and the plec while it all gets ripped apart.

Back