• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thinking about coming back!!!

Good evening fellow aquatic lovers ,

I Have been out of the tropical fish Keep for about 5 years was drawn into the world of marines.

I love my small 2x2ft cube marine aquarium but missing having a large planted tank with anglerfish and Cardin tetra. Therefore thinking about taking the plunge back into tropical planted aquarium life.

Been aquarium window shopping and love the look of Maidenhead aquatics Aqua-Oak 150cm doors aquarium.

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/aqua-oak-150cm-drawers-doors-aquarium-and-cabinet

I am amazed how the led lighting has changed since I have left and now a fish out of water in that respect. My local Maidenhead aquatics recommend fluval plant 3.0 Bluetooth led lights, would love to know people opinions on these lights.

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/fluval-plant-3-0-led

I am surprised they not a new FX6 external filter but suppose that was hard to been considering how amazing a pump they are.

Anyway I better shutup coz I could talk fish all day.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Go see George Farmer Oct 5 at Aquajardin! Live Aquascaping beginning at 11 am
:D

I’m all about the glass, so I’d look at Evolution Aqua line (low iron, high transparency glass)

Angels - taller tanks are better so 50-60 cm height is grand
BUT
then lighting becomes a consideration, substrate PAR will be low unless you select suitable lights (so depending on plant goals, you may need to allocate more budget - cheapest is HOT5 or VHOT5 with suitable reflectors (and distance between tubes) but then they won’t be dimmable (for dimmable T5 cost, I’d just go LED)

With bigger planted tanks, two filters (set up opposite ends, diagonal intake/outflows) will provide better flow with fewer dead spots

Fluval lighting works well on tanks under 45cm height, perhaps the 3.0 has moved beyond this - ask for LED specifications! Fluval has chosen to apply more attention to software elements
(Previous generations have used mostly lower watt, lower intensity (read economy ;)) LEDs)

In contrast Twinstar really only sells LEDs
(but then their RGB balance is too red dominant for me, though most customers love this)

ONF
I have a couple of their Nano lights and the light balance is amazing (reds and greens shine (not literally :cool:))

The new Kessil 360X tries to accomplish both but then price is unreasonable
- I just saw the cost of the FINALLY released “wifi dongle” that allows remote control - given the high cost of these lights (not so unexpected for a USA designed, built, manufactured product) the “wifi dongle” should’ve been already built in or offered at nominal cost ...
Instead, for some reason, Kessil makes this beautiful light, then requires this far from invisible accessory to be plugged into the light (I couldn’t find the actual cable length information though the device size is given) and to control more than that single light, the lights need to be “daisy chained” ie another cable (which then limits light placement ... unless they’ve finally offered some optional cable lengths)

Overview
The Kessil WiFi Dongle is the simplest, most reliable wireless lighting option in the market. Used together with the best-in-class A360X, the WiFi Dongle’s small frame plugs into the fixture’s K-Link port, and gives users the ability to remotely control a wide array of features through Kessil’s intuitive app. The Dongle is able to control dozens of lights from one reliable signal, thereby minimizing signal interference and leading to a faster, more reliable connection.

I’m not a fan of AI Prime lights (though perhaps the new Freshwater HD has improved spectrum) but at least they got the wireless aspects done with far more sophistication
(but then rather a lot of customers complaints regarding the mounting arm ... suspended is definitely better looking with both the AI Primes and the Kessils)

It you’re up for a road trip, go look at display tanks and lights and filters at the specialty scaping shops

If not planning CO2, Filipe Oliveira has a video series on his YouTube channel (I linked the series in another topic - I’ll look later) of a rather stunning (and Tall) tank :)
He also has several tall CO2 setup videos

You might also like to look into Oase Biomaster filters with integrated heater to keep this extra equipment out of your tank :)

Welcome, don't be too hasty to buy your equipment from the obvious places, you may regret it. Do some more research first and take a look at Aquarium Gardens and their range of top notch aquascaping equipment. Like @alto mentions the Evolution Aqua Aquascaper aquariums are hard to beat in terms of quality, scaping suitability and price, for instance. Also take a look at the tutorials section, it'll get you off to a good start. And the planted tank gallery for inspiration and equipment ideas :)

Thank you everyone you have given me much to research and update myself on

In the research stage so look out for my stupid question. As I like to know what I am doing before buying the tank

Can official say my brain was like 'what????' after reading posts, so lots of research her I come.

Bye to next post

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Back