• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

thoughts on my planned setup?

markp35

hi everybody , this is my very 1st post here .

im selling my current tanks and upgrading to a 6 footer ( 6x2x1.5) which will be fully planted . id just like some thoughts/feedback on my planned setup . ive been researching/reading on many sites on many subjects and so far im planning the following for the basic setup .

tank
72x24x18

equipment.
2 eheim 2217s
2 5500 lph circulation pumps ( ive got a 1400 lph i can add if needed)
4x54w t5 tubes with refletors run by electric ballasts ( longest tubes i can find are 4 ft so theese will be overlapped 2 front 2 rear to run the length of the tank)
pressurised co2 from 2kg fire extinguisher delivered into the tank via inline co2 atomiser
drop checker
nutrient rich substrate ( undecided which specific 1 at present)
ferts-wise im leaning towards estimitive index at the moment

i figure that lighting coupled with stable co2/good dosing regime should enable me to grow a fairly wide range of plants , would you agree.?

anything im missing?

Hi Mark
Welcome to the ukaps gang.
That's a massive aquarium you will be setting up.
If it was me I would have two Co2 units running with 2 UP atomisers if you have the space to fit them in the cupboards..
......and the finance.
This will give your more Co2 coverage in your aquarium.
Also to run the in-line atomisers like the UP you need 1.7 bar and above or the regulator will struggle to force the Co2 through the membrane. So be careful when choosing the regulator.
There's a Topic regarding fertilizers by Tobi have a read its quite interesting.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14594
I would ditch the Urea in the Topic above if you have livestock....just my opinion.
Go easy on the lighting for the first few months or you will have algae problems.Use a lot of floating plants and fast growing stem plants.I don't think you will have any problems growing plants keeping them algae free and healthy would be your goal for the first few months.
Were looking forward to your progress.
Regards
hoggie

to be honest the idea of setting up a planted tank on that scale is a bit daunting , but its going to be a fair while until i have the tank yet , so ive got plenty of time to prepare .

i may even stick with my 4x2x2 instead , i am as yet not 100% decided . there are many factors that will dictate the route i finally take ,
if i do end up with the intended tank i was considering the possibility of running 2 feeds from 1 fire extinguisher ( each with its own needle valve) and 2 atomisers.

but say for arguements sake i was going to run 2 seperate systems what regulator would you reccomend for use with an up atomiser?

hi george .

il take a look at those lamps . thanks :thumbup:

ouch! i just looked at those lamps way too pricey . i can do the 4x54w for half of that

I would suggest it might be better to source a bigger C02 cylinder as 2kg wont last that long feeding two atomisers.
Depending on how good you local supply of C02 is, it might be cheap (as it is where I live) or expensive?
You might be able to rent a decent pup sized cylinder?

foxfish said:
I would suggest it might be better to source a bigger C02 cylinder as 2kg wont last that long feeding two atomisers.
Depending on how good you local supply of C02 is, it might be cheap (as it is where I live) or expensive?
You might be able to rent a decent pup sized cylinder?
He may not have the space for a massive pub cylinder.
You can purchase a JBL regulator that has a adjustable pressure setting.
http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-bin/n ... temartic_e
I use the above with no problems.
Yes you could run two lines from the cylinder to two external filters.
hoggie

how long would you say a 2kg fire extinguisher would last? also if my circulation is up to par would i really need to run 2 atomisers? space is a little limited , but i could maybe go to a 5kg extinguisher

I'd also say go for the 5kg as the 2 will not last that long.

I recon you'd get away with only one regulator but I'd say you'd need to use a reactor inline with your filter instead and use a few powerheads to make sure there is enough flow to carry it fully around the tank.

I'm running that setup on my 4ft tank and no matter where I put my drop checker it is the same colour :)

Hi Mark
How long is a piece of string......It all depends on many factors.
Size of aquarium
Lighting/Planting/Stocking levels.... Gh/kh...water movement, even temperature.
Also to how many bubbles a second you run, even bubble counters have a bearing on how much is being sent to the atomiser or the diffuser.
There's so many variables...you would just have to bite the bullet and purchase a cylinder that fits into your allocated space,then monitor it from there.
That will give you a better idea how much you will use approximately.
Regards
hoggie

ive found a local bo gas bottle dealer in my town , i may give them a call and see what they carry in the way of co2 cylinders

You dont have to keep the cylinder under the tank it can be remotely installed.
A fully panted 6' tank is going to need quite a lot of C02, it will depend on your chosen style of planting but this need not be a problem if the gas refills are cheap & the supplier close but, you dont want to short cut on Co2 as this will inevitably cause problems.

this could prove a potential stumbling block . i think i need to start enquiring about refill prices etc. perhaps planting the 4x2x2 would be a more viable project.

I get my refills from a fire extinguisher service agent, they rent out the cylinders but always exchange them before their expiry date, so I get them at that stage for free (I offer gifts in exchange but no cash).
I just asked at the office one day if the company could sell me an old cylinder & the guy just said, you can have one of these as long as I bring it back when it is empty.
That was twenty years ago & we still do the same deal :)

interesting. so if i got a 5kg fire extinguisher i can just get that refilled when its empty ? ive been looking at bee gas suppliers etc . if i can get the fire extinguisher refilled cheaply then the big tank will be a goer. subject to me selling my other tanks to bankroll the upgrade of course

Back