• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Throught the Distance - with step-by-step video - 300l

Pedro Rosa

"Throught the Distance"

Here is my first post :)

After one year with my old aquarium i made an upgrade for a 300l (120x50x50 cm) and a brand new start (the old one was 180l)
Dismounting everything took me long hours.
Trying to make the new one something good took me several hours and you'll be the judge of the work :)
One full day... and still things to clean on the next day.
It was done on the 22nd April.

I used Elos Bottom Mineral (fertilized) and Elos Terra substracts. It seems very good products.
I have Discus, Tetra Cardinals and Hemigrammus Rhodostomus.

I made a "step-by-step" video of the assembly (available in HD 720p and 1080p).

I saved water from the old aquarium and filters were working all the time on the temporary aquariums. With this i could give a new home for all fishes immediately.

Lots of plants from the old aquarium were left out. They were too much.
Also a lot of red cherries are missing from this one.

This time i made a planted aquarium for Discus with lots of space to swim and plants could grow at the sides.
I want to have both sides well planted and "cuba" at the middle. At the center some Redmoor wood are stil missing from the ground (only little bits...).
I planted moss bettween the wood at substract level and not on the wood, so it can grow beetween the wood.
I'm trying to make it look like roots.

There are still somethings missing:
- what to put on the backgroud? Dark Blue? White? Light Blue (sky).
- increase cardinal fishs
- decide about fertilization: i used Flourish products but i'm thinking in using Elos produts;
- buy some nice lily pipes
- etc.

Here it is another video, this one from the first day. First feed for Discus.

And here it goes the setup:

Aquarium
120x50x50 cm

Filter
Eheim Professionel 3
Eheim Ecco 2234

Heater
Eheim Jager 200 w

CO2
Pressurized 3 bps
Solenoid Valve
AquaGrow CO2 Reactor

Lights
Solstar by Ramirezi 4x 39 w

Substract
Elos Bottom Mineral
Elos Terra

Hardscape
Redmoor wood
Seiryu Stone

Moss
Riccia Fluitans
Vesicularia dubyana
Taxiphyllum sp. 'Flame'
Fissidens Fontanus

Plants
Microsorum pteropus
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Pogostemon Helferi
Staurogyne Sp
Blyxa Japonica
Ludwigia Repens Rubin
Eleocharis Vivpara

Fishes
Discus
Paracheirodon axelrodi
Hemigrammus rhodostomus

Invertebrates
Caridina Japonica
Red Cherry
Neritina

Hope you like it!

Pedro.

You have a very dedicated assistant there helping you with the set up!!! :D :D :D An amazing young man!!! :) :clap:
Not to mention the lovely young lady too :)

Bem-vindo ao forum Pedro :) (welcome to the forum)

As for step-by-step you can't get better than that hehe very nicely done and well documented.

Look forward to seeing this one grow in, keep up the good work.

Abraco
Paulo

Hi there,

One more video of this project, this one from the first large maintenance.
I had already changed about 10% of water on day 4 but on this day (day eight) i changed about 40% and did a careful glass cleaning, cleaned rocks and wood, did a water change and other small things.

You can see this "Step-by-Step" video here:

Meanwhile i did some small additions: Eleocharis Acicularis on the back, near Eleocharis Vivpara; add some small pieces of wood on the Cuba.

I intend to let it grow without many changes but i'm thinking of changing Ludwigia Repens for Rotala Indica and adjust the small piece of wood on the left side. After that i don't intend to change anything.
It's still difficult for me to see how Vivpara and Acicularis are going to look like on the back.

Best Regards,
Pedro Rosa.

i enjoyed watching your first video, looks like you have lots of help :)

I will watch with interest the journal but until then I wish you clear waters

A nice looking tank, And good looking Discus too.
One thing i've learned with Discus, is dark backgrounds/substrates can lead to Peppering. I had 2 Blue Diamonds with black substrate, and i did get small amounts of Peppering on them.

Good luck.

Sam

Hi there!

I've been away from UKAPS for the last weeks so let's make some updates to this thread.
There's many things happening in this Aqua: plants are growing; discus are laying eggs and... yes, they we're born.

But let's start at Day 16 (next posts will have further info and images).

Day 16 - Maintenance Day.

For this day there's no video :) You will see some nice videos on the following posts.

PWA were made to keeps algae away. I cleaned all the hardscape and made some work on the cuba.
Wood were placed on the middle of the cuba so it gives some brown color on the middle of the cuba.

I also made some adjustments on the left side, mainly that piece of wood that you can see on the first video was preaty dificult to choose where to put it.
On that some side i put the Ludwigia Repens away and put some Rotala Indica.

On the right side i made no changes.
Helferis grows a lot. Let's see if it can be a nice frontier between cuba and the moss.

I'm fertilizing with Elos K40, FAse 1 and Fase 2.
Light are on between 14h and 22h.
O moonlighting until midnight.

Finally i made some tests:

PH - 6.4
KH - 3
GH - 8 (9 em 26/4)
NO3 - 20 (25 em 26/4)
NO2 - 0
CO2 - 35.83 (calculado tendo por base o PH e o KH)

Best Regards,
Pedro Rosa.

Day 20 - Discus Eggs
Day 40 - Newborn Discus

Well, these days were special!
Two times a couple of discus laid eggs! On the second one they were born and you'll see some very small discus swimming around on a Community tank!

Let's start with the first video from Day 20... only eggs...

Two weeks later more eggs... This time i made some arranjments: a small light at night and a very rude separation beetween the two sides of the aquarium.

Well... but they were born!

The following movie show some nice imagens from the small discus at their "nest"; being arranged by the parents; start swimming around; etc.

They were great moments! I had to give less fertilizer so some algae start grow but about the aquarium i will put another post.

Remember to see it at least at 720p.

Best Regards,
Pedro Rosa.

Day 48 - Overall Status

Well, after the Discus adventure, back to full fertilizing plan and lots of CO2.
Cuba is growing and Blyxa Japonica on the right side is also very good.
Eleocharis Vivpara on the back side is growing but i planted only 1 or 2 pots, so it's only a small portion.

You can see the overall status on the following movie: very green movie :)
The discus couple were on a cube i bought only for them, so they are not stars at this movie.

Enough for words...

I'm going on holiday for Algarve for a week so let's hope that everything is going to be alright. I have my brother-in-law giving food and fertilizing.

Best Regards,
Pedro Rosa.

Yay, some updates :D

I love this fish tan, it's incredibly beautiful, great job with the discus and all.
Hope they survive, of course they will!
Keep up the good work!

Absolutly fantastic Video :)

Love your tank, most of discus tanks i've seen where vwery havy looking ones. That one do the job to me!

Real discus scape :)

Can't whait to see another video.

Excellent tank Pedro :) and great to see the Discus breeding too, must have been a great experience, videos very nicely put together too, love the comments, comic at times :)

Parabens :)

Great tank Pedro!

One question I have is as to how you planted your Cuba. Did you plant a whole pot in one place or did you divide each pot into smaller pieces? From what i van see on the video it looks like you planted a whole pot in one place. How many pots of Cuba did you use?

Keep up the great work and posts :)

mzm said:
One question I have is as to how you planted your Cuba. Did you plant a whole pot in one place or did you divide each pot into smaller pieces? From what i van see on the video it looks like you planted a whole pot in one place. How many pots of Cuba did you use?

No, i planted 5 pots and divided them. They should be divided into smaller pieces. At that time it seemed to me that the size of the pieces were good, but you should get smaller pieces - it grows even better and more horizontally - this is common knowledge but i think that i was really tired by then :)

Best Regards,
Pedro Rosa.

You are right, everyone is aware that the best way to plant cuba is by separating it into smaller pieces or indeed individual plantlets, however i thought i saw you putting in whole pots. Thanks for the reply.

Back