• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tiger lotus surface pads

BigTom

So my tank (which now resides with a friend) has a number of Nymphaea rubra bulbs which were allowed to grow surface pads whilst someone else was looking after the tank. A lot of the submerged leaves now appear to be melting, either as a result of the plant reaching the surface or general tank neglect.

If I were to trim off the surface pads would the plants revert to producing/maintaining their submerged leaves or are they pretty much buggered now they've hit the surface?

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine if you prune it. Plants like to be pruned.

I found the N.rubra I've grown have done better and grown for longer if I allowed them to grow floating pads every so often, then prune them off. The submerged leaves would grow back much more luxurious after a month or so of floating leaves. Weird but it's what I found I assume because they were able to use floating leaves taking atmospheric CO2 and right under the light to build up their reserves.

rawr said:
Plants like to be pruned.

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. Leaving aside the fact that plants can't like anything, why would a plant like the tissue and growth it has put on to be removed? Pruning is vital in tanks to keep them neat and allow water to circulate which helps us maintain a good growing environment, not because the plants need it directly.

Well, whether plants physically like to be cut is irrelevant - they're plants. But from our point of view, it is good to prune plants as it encourages new growth, as well as keeping them neat, and in some cases, aiding circulation.

Its a good idea with Tigers to trim their roots from time to time also, as this keep leaf sizes smaller. There is a thread somewhere on it with loads of useful info. Lovely plants :thumbup:

I think I probably worded that wrong. I didnt' really mean plants need to be trimmed - more 'respond well' to it.

Back