• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tiger lotus

I've just got some Tiger lotus which already has long stems and leafs coming from a tiny bulb, I know if it's just the gulf you sink it on top of the substrate to root. My question is shall I plant the bulb and tiny roots in the substrate and how deep?

Yes you can.. :) The tuber has a crown, this is where the leaves sprout and the roots appear from. The roots can be put bellow the substrate and the crown should be level or little above the substrate..

https://waterlily-lotus.eu/wiki/germinating-tropical-nymphaea-tubers/

Tho Lily is a quite remarkable plant, if it is to difficult to plant it in the substrate for what ever reason. If for example the substrate is to coarse and root damage can be a risk. Than you can simply glue a small flat stone to the tuber, large enough just to weigh it down and keep it in place. Put it on top of a fertilizer tab in the substrate, its roots will find its way into the substrate by itself and once the roots get a hold, it will pull the tuber down into the substrate.all by itself to the prefered depht. It will take a while but it will do that..

Well I read that the bulb should not be fully submerged in the gravel? I bought them with long stems and leafs on a small bulb,they must of been seperated from a bigger plant. So... I found some circle ceramic plant weights and wrapped the bottom of the stems with thread and sat the weights on top of the substrate so the bottom of the bulbs are sitting on top of the substrate, will they root down or do they actually need to be a little covered?

Back