• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Time for a new scape (The End)

Re: Time for a new scape

Hi
aaronnorth said:
I missed this one... nice to see your tank, you have plenty of knowledge to produce healthy plants so I am sure you will succeed as you already have :thumbup:
Thanks Aaron, but I've only learnt off you guys round here :D , so thanks to all for your assistance for taking time out to answer my many queries.

stuworrall said:
looking really good, that grass is growing like wildfire :lol:
Now there's an understatement if ever I've heard one :lol:

Thanks for all your comments.
As you can see my scaping skills are nowhere near the standard of you guys but I'm enjoying growing healthy plants and not growing algae :lol:.
But learning all the time :D .

Chris

Hi all
Update at week 4
Apart from the E. acicularis, this tank is going to be a slow growing affair so decided only to post up new pics at 4 weekly intervals.
The only thing I have changed is I have added another pot of E.acicularis as my estimate of 10 pots was not quite enough.

Well the E.acicularis is flying along.
Here it is just after a trim
RHendview.jpg

Another view just before the trim, complete with pregnant shrimp doing a handstand :lol:
I didn't realise the roots would travel down so deep :rolleyes:
Roots2.jpg

And after a total meltdown, all of the C.balansae is coming back to life
Crypt3.jpg

Crypt2.jpg

Crypt1.jpg

Other than that, no dramas to report.
Looks like I got away with using the mature filter on this set up as I have got no algae, so I'm well pleased with that :D.
Thanks for looking.

Looking really, really nice, Chris. I think your rockwork is very good indeed, too. Can you enlarge on the eleocharis trimming? You've posted a pic 'just after trimming' - how much did you trim, and how hard? Does trimming help it spread?

Hi paul.in.kendal

Thanks for the positive comments :D
If you take a look at the second pic down (the one with the shrimp doing the handstand :lol: ), that was taken before the trim.
I've probably taken off between 1" and 1.5" each week because it's growing so well, and that certainly appears to be encouraging it to spread, with new growth popping up in between the original clumps, all over the place.

Hi paul.in.kendal
paul.in.kendal said:
Cool! I'll give it a try. So you're trimming back to about, what, an inch long?
Yes, I'd say about 1" or maybe just over. Seems to be working :D
TDI-line said:
Looks lovely Chris.
Thanks TDI-line :thumbup:
With a bit of patience, I'm hoping the grass will fill in completely, but I can't complain, as it's only been running for 4 weeks :D

Nice looking tank and you are very patient to separate all that grass.
It will be interesting to see the progress after another 4 weeks.

I'm sure eleocharis will cover all the tank. Once established it grows like weed. I have it in one of my tanks and trim it every couple weeks. Trimming it and cleaning the tank afterwards is a real pain though.

Hi Nos
Sorry, missed your reply. Thanks for the comments :thumbup:
Nos said:
Trimming it and cleaning the tank afterwards is a real pain though.
The trimming is the quick bit :lol: it's getting all the bits off the glass at the surface is the pain, but hey ho. I've devised a method which makes it pretty quick now though so it's not too bad.
I now do my trimming mid week so I only have to change the water at the weekend and I've got that down to half an hour so all in all, not too bad :D

CeeJay said:
Hi Nos
The trimming is the quick bit :lol: it's getting all the bits off the glass at the surface is the pain, but hey ho. I've devised a method which makes it pretty quick now though so it's not too bad.
I now do my trimming mid week so I only have to change the water at the weekend and I've got that down to half an hour so all in all, not too bad :D
Yeah this is what I ment fishing out all the bits is painful.
I use small fishnet for that and it works pretty well.

Hi all

Quick update at week 8

E. acicularis & Crypts doing fine
GrassCrypt.jpg

Microsorum's not doing too bad either :D
LeftFront.jpg

Right hand view
RightView1.jpg

Front shot
FullShot.jpg

The grand plan (in my head anyway), is to let the grass at the rear grow taller than the front, but for now I'm trimming it all once a fortnight and it certainly seems to be encouraging it to spread :D .
I'm just waiting for all the C. balansae behind the right hand rocks to pop up and show themselves.
Evolving slowly :D

That's very nice. You found some excellent rocks for this scape. I like the hairgrass too.

Hi all

Thanks for the comments.
Apart from the grass, this is quite a low maintenance set up so I can sit back and chill and see what evolves over time :D
Fortunately, I'm not in a rush :lol:

CeeJay said:
Hi all

Thanks for the comments.
Apart from the grass, this is quite a low maintenance set up so I can sit back and chill and see what evolves over time :D
Fortunately, I'm not in a rush :lol:

hey Chris,

Loving the scape, the rocks you have are great, and once it grows in a little more should really look cool! :thumbup:

Looking very nice. Keep us updated.
Quick question what is the subtrate in the tank? Is it Akadama?

andyh said:
Loving the scape, the rocks you have are great, and once it grows in a little more should really look cool! :thumbup:
Thanks andyh :D.
I can't wait for the C.balansae to grow up on the right hand side. Should look a bit better then.

Hi Nos
Thanks for the comments :D
Nos said:
Quick question what is the subtrate in the tank? Is it Akadama?
The substrate is Red Sea Flora Base. This was purchased before I discovered UKAPS :( .
It's now about 9 months old. Any substrate disturbance now and there is a big cloud of dust in the water, which can be a right pain, so I'm leaving well alone and letting nature take it's course :D.

ITs looking great Chris.

Looking forward to meeting up with you as havent spoken to you for some time now.

Let me know if I can pop round sometime :D

Back