• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Time to aquascape

Nathanh2150

Today’s the day where it all begins my little project over the Christmas period

any help or advice would be much appreciated

Attachments

• E9DABE94-16C2-4217-964B-A63C1E5DDB01.jpeg
    E9DABE94-16C2-4217-964B-A63C1E5DDB01.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 207
  • 6D5C4CB9-6957-4E68-A1CD-31F5DC2E5667.jpeg
    6D5C4CB9-6957-4E68-A1CD-31F5DC2E5667.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 126
  • 3B473DF7-085A-48ED-8510-2ECBE0AC4BFD.jpeg
    3B473DF7-085A-48ED-8510-2ECBE0AC4BFD.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 120
Great start, really like the wood.

Is that the final position of the light? With the wood the way it is you may struggle with the front/back and getting enough light

Hi nick yes this is the final spot for the bog wood and the light unit will be staying there as don’t want to cover the bog wood up with the light plus I’m sure there will be enough light to reach the monti Carlo as the twin star is quite a powerful light plus have a dimmer to attach to it

Hi nick yes this is the final spot for the bog wood and the light unit will be staying there as don’t want to cover the bog wood up with the light plus I’m sure there will be enough light to reach the monti Carlo as the twin star is quite a powerful light plus have a dimmer to attach to it
Good start i like the woods structure.

Having the light towards the back of the tank behind the wood will not work well, especially for monte carlo at the front. Plus the wood will also create a shadowed area at the front, you can already see the difference in light levels in the 3rd photo. The back of the tank generally recieves more light than the front because of any backgrounds or walls behind.

Take it from someone who has a twinstar and started off with the light towards the rear, i struggle to get enough light to my MC and had to swap it out for dwarf hairgrass even with the light in the middle.

Depends on planting really, the more plants you plant behind the MC the more shaded the MC will be with the light that far back.

Last edited:
Good start i like the woods structure.

Having the light towards the back of the tank behind the wood will not work well, especially for monte carlo at the front. Plus the wood will also create a shadowed area at the front, you can already see the difference in light levels in the 3rd photo. The back of the tank generally recieves more light than the front because of any backgrounds or walls behind.

Take it from someone who has a twinstar and started off with the light towards the rear, i struggle to get enough light to my dwarf hairgrass even with the light in the middle.

Depends on planting really, the more plants you plant behind the MC the more shaded the MC will be with the light that far back.
It was that 3rd pic that threw me, I wasn't sure if it was just some weird camera perspective. The front does look very dark.

I would certainly give it a try, but be prepared to to either move the light or suspend it.

It was that 3rd pic that threw me, I wasn't sure if it was just some weird camera perspective. The front does look very dark.

I would certainly give it a try, but be prepared to to either move the light or suspend it.
It probably is the angle and the photo is probably exaggerating the situtation. But my thinking is, by exaggerating the problem it shows us something that may not be evident while looking with our eyes.

If it's all going to be MC it could work, but if using other plants like stems at the back, will also shade the front.

Back