• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Times have changed

kevin1962

As a new member I've just spent some time browsing the members tank gallery and all I can say is I'm blown away by the amazing photos I've just seen :clap: but one thing struck me...backgrounds, or the lack of. I have been away from fw fishkeeping for a few years now and boy times have changed is it the fashion (for want of a better word) to not have a background now, i never did like the garish picture backgrounds from a few years ago so I'm suitably impressed with the 'new look' but how is that white look achieved? I would love to give it a go so I'm thinking maybe get some frosted effect or white vinyl and somehow backlight it maybe, or am I barking up the wrong tree, someone please tell me how that look is achieved any advice gratefully accepted. It's only day 1 of my membership and already my head is buzzing with plans and ideas... sleeping could be difficult tonight with so much on my mind

Often it's a piece of matte white card or some other material. People tend to play about with position, and even back lighting to get the effect they want. Often you'll find that the sheet of white card/plastic/whatever is at an angle leaning away from the tank towards the top to get a gradient effect.

A lot of the aesthetics side of this hobby are to do with photography, and how a scape looks when photographed. Quite often you'll find that in real life people don't have the background in place unless they're taking photos.

Another option is using some frosted film to diffuse the background. Again, light can be used to get a nice effect :)

Things have definitely moved on from fake photos and polystyrene rock walls :)

Often it's a piece of matte white card or some other material. People tend to play about with position, and even back lighting to get the effect they want. Often you'll find that the sheet of white card/plastic/whatever is at an angle leaning away from the tank towards the top to get a gradient effect.

A lot of the aesthetics side of this hobby are to do with photography, and how a scape looks when photographed. Quite often you'll find that in real life people don't have the background in place unless they're taking photos.

Another option is using some frosted film to diffuse the background. Again, light can be used to get a nice effect :)

Things have definitely moved on from fake photos and polystyrene rock walls :)
thanks for that reply steve yep things have changed my only worry is I dont want to be seeing cables etc at the back of my tank, i'm currently racking my brains trying to come up with an idea to avoid having overflow pipes from being visible inside the tank

Personally, I quite like the polystyrene rock walls :) They have to be convincing though. With proper ruts and such, Anubias and ferns can be planted to striking effect. It's all personal taste I suppose.

Back