• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

timing of ferts

jh81271

hi all
i work 12hrs aday 7.00-7pm and have been dosing ferts at 6.30am ,with my lights 2x 39wts coming on at 11am till 9pm
is this a safe practice or should i only dose when lights are on !
i use this setup as i would never see my tank with lights on
any ideas or suggestions welcome
i am suffering with quite a bit of hair algae could this possibly be the cause !
many thanks j

This is perfect, the ferts will be there for the plants when the lights come on and when they need them!

I wish I remembered every morning and sometimes come home and cant remember if I dosed in the morning or not :oops:

jh81271 said:
hi all
i work 12hrs aday 7.00-7pm and have been dosing ferts at 6.30am ,with my lights 2x 39wts coming on at 11am till 9pm
is this a safe practice or should i only dose when lights are on !
i use this setup as i would never see my tank with lights on
any ideas or suggestions welcome
i am suffering with quite a bit of hair algae could this possibly be the cause !
many thanks j
Hi,
It does not matter all that much what time you dose. Hair algae is caused by poor CO2. You must either increase the injection rate or add more flow, or rework the distribution patterns of the filter effluent, or reduce the lighting - or combinations of all these factors.

Cheers,

hi
i will do as you say !
i was using two filters (fluval 305+eheim 2028)and i stopped using fluval as the xtra water movement i thought was just to much for slender stemmed plants ! i just use eheim at the mo with a spray bar facing the front of the tank(40").how do you cope and use inflow pipes with slender stems without them being forced over by water flow?
many thanks J

When I had a job ;) I used to dose at 6-30am in the morning every day when my lights come on at 3pm. Never caused a problem.

I now dose much closer to the 'on' time but will go back to the 'old way' if and when I go back to work :)

AC

jh81271 said:
hi
i will do as you say !
i was using two filters (fluval 305+eheim 2028)and i stopped using fluval as the xtra water movement i thought was just to much for slender stemmed plants ! i just use eheim at the mo with a spray bar facing the front of the tank(40").how do you cope and use inflow pipes with slender stems without them being forced over by water flow?
many thanks J

You can add another spraybar to the first by connecting them with small sections (1 inch or so) of rubber hosing. Fluval have a spraybar kit that comes with multiple bars and a connection rubber grommet. You can cut the spraybar length if it is too long. You can also drill more holes into the spraybar or even enlargen the holes that are there to reduce the effluent velocity.

Continue to prune the stems so that they become more bushy and robust.

Cheers,

good idea to add more holes to spray bar.i will do just that so water comes out front and back!I just hope water reaches end of spray bar efficiently as its full lenghth of tank give or take a few inches{ 36"}

i have also added a 500ltr P/hr powerhead to help aswell!.I will also prune stems aswell .they look awfull with hair algae.
cheers ceg
many thanks J

Back