Tiny Bristlenose plecs - how hardy are they?

LeTigra

Following on from my BNP set-up question, I've found some but they're perhaps 1cm in size.
They appear active and "jittery" in a way only tiny fish can be, if that makes sense, all over the stones, seemingly searching for food. Although I don't have a specific tank set up for them yet I do have a quarantine tank that I can add bogwood and some "nitrate-eating" plants into which is small enough that I won't lose them completely - I may actually occasionally see them! And as they grow I'll be looking for a larger, more suitable home for them. If I do pick them up I'll be putting them in a tank on their own through fear of them being eaten at their teeny-tiny size

At this size are they too fragile to be moved? Are they still at a stage where fatality rate is high? If I get 4-6 should I expect to lose a couple just because of how small they are?

All advice welcome
Thanks again

altaaffe

I ripped out a load of rocks from my Mbuna tank a few weeks ago and wondered what that was wriggling about on the floor where the rocks were.

Turns out I had several fry probably smaller than you are describing which had climbed aboard the rocks. I scooped them up (after they had been out the water for about 10 mins) and they are all doing fine now.

I have transferred batches of fry at about 6-7mm to a fry tank before with no casualties, I just take some of the water from the main tank to the fry tank and transfer them in.

Algae wafers, any algaed equipment, catfish pellets and courgette - ended up with rapid growth.

Best of luck with them.

LeTigra

Hi altaaffe
Thanks for your quick reply!
Appreciate your advice
I think I am gonna do it - I've been fancying them for ages, I was just unsure because of their size