• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Tiny tank experiment - do I need flow?

aec34

I’m planning a small low-tech planted tank for work, a stuff-lying-around-or-recycled project, mostly with trimmings from my other tank(s). (Plus probably a bit of begging on the buy/swap forum for a stem plant....)

I’ve bought a cheap plastic cube which seems to be watertight. It’s just about a 20cm cube, and holds about 6 litres empty. No plan for CO2, just a usb led light. Substrate will be DIY soil/sand capped with gravel.

A6BF992F-4FC0-4AA0-AAB7-477D7787B9BD.jpeg

Is it worth getting a tiny pump for flow, if there is something which would be suitable for a tank this small? It would have to be external. I’m planning big weekly WC, likely with water from my main tank.

EDIT: I’m also running a 4-5l bowl with no flow fine so far, so wondering really how far the advantages of flow outweigh the cost/slight faff of added tech

Last edited:
What about one of these?

I don't think there are any smaller and at only around £20 it is almost worth a try?

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Is it worth getting a tiny pump for flow, if there is something which would be suitable for a tank this small? It would have to be external. I’m planning big weekly WC, likely with water from my main tank.
Hi, if you'll not use a filter then there is no need for a pump. Obsession over flow is only appropriate for CO2 injected or possibly Excel/Easycarbo tanks.

Cheers,

rebel

I find that small containers of water like this will go stale etc unless it's very well balanced. Due to small size, it's hard to balance em fast. I think you will need to water-change daily.

This type of container is good for wabicusa though.

Love to see your progress either way.

aec34

Thanks all - really useful. I was also thinking of only filling e.g. 2/3 full and encouraging growth above the water. My 5l bowl has a bit of algae on a few of the leaves, but one month in with massive weekly changes is looking pretty good.
The box has a really good lid, so that might be useful for having a go at a wabi type thing. Hmmm 🤔