• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tips for Planted Tank Beginners/........Don't make my mistakes in your first year

Antix8989

This is in the context of a CO2 injected, high energy, planted tank......like on the YouTubes! and is just for fun.

DISCLAIMER - I am NOT an expert, but I did waste some cash and time you might want to avoid.
  1. DO buy twice as much hardscape as you thought you wanted to.
  2. DO NOT ATTEMPT DIY CO2.
  3. DO buy plants which suit your intended water supply RO/Rain/Tap (I use London's finest).
  4. DO NOT ATTEMPT DIY CO2.
  5. DO think about your water change method. A pond pump, a hose and a bucket will save your back. A drill pump is NOT a good idea.
  6. DO buy some cheap fast growing plants. e.g. Vallisneria. They do help things get going and keep algae down. They can always come out in a month or two. I kept mine.
  7. DO invest in a quality CO2 regulator.
    • Fire extinguishers work fine.
    • In line CO2 is not essential, but worth it IMO. My Chinese knock-off works great.
  8. DO invest in a reliable filter. For silence and ease of cleaning, I quickly moved from the hang on the back included with the kit, to a canister with pre-filter. No regrets.
  9. DO make sure you have a way to dim your lights to start. Electronically, mechanically (height), or even with some black tape. Once you're cycled and plants are rooted, think about incrementally increasing the light. Expensive lights are not necessary, but do look nicer IMO. DO NOT blast your poor, newly submerged and adapting plants with 100% light for 8 hrs from day 1.
  10. DO use self adhesive window film for backing if you want one. No glue, no bubbles. Cheap AF.
  11. DO NOT get over excited in the fish shop. One species at a time
  12. DO have a variety of Algae eaters. Amano first IMO. They're tanks.
  13. DO REGULAR WATER CHANGES. Remove as much dead or dying plant material & organic waste as possible. In times of strife, more regular 50% + water changes are your friend.
  14. DO NOT let Algae stress you out.
  15. DO use blackouts as a last resort, but the root cause must be found. Mine was too much light, not enough CO2.

Last edited:
16. Expect fry to appear before you expect them and have a plan. Don't trust fry containers with ventilation slits the perfect size for fry to escape through.
17. Expect conflicting advice.
18. Promote a gift economy and swop whatever you can.
19. Never use Melafix with gourami or pencilfish.

😁 This reminded me of a post I wrote 6 years ago!!

We get a lot of issues with fish health and no quarantine in place .So a 18x12x12 tank small heater small filter and either run as a small tank with a few plants as favoured by me and others or have the tank in readiness for a poorly or bullied fish. Handy to have some all round meds in hand and if unsure of fish health ask on the forum🙂

😁 This reminded me of a post I wrote 6 years ago!!
Can't argue with any of that :) I definitely did your #6, I should update my #1 to "DO obtain twice as much hardscape as you thought you wanted to." I'll be adding ballast, and scavenging sticks and rocks for the next layout.

Back