• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tips for upcoming heatwave?

bushaaayyy

Been away from this site for a little while but just checked back to see if there was any advice for the upcoming heatwave. Didn’t see any threads so thought I would start one.

I have my temp set at 22c usually, and I suspect it will rise above that in the next few days.

What should I do if water temp starts to rise? What temp is going to be too high? I currently have green neons, a pair of apistos, panda garras and cherries/amanos.

I’m guessing reducing lighting hours may help? Is it a good idea to chuck a couple of ice cubes in?

Any other general advice or tips appreciated

I open windows, shut curtains where applicable. Remove lids to allow heat to escape. You could turn up filter flow. I don't mess with my light settings.
It's important to keep filters maintained or air pumps from blockage. Get that water moving.

Turning lights off during a heatwave shouldn't have any negative effects on the tank as it's exactly what we do to combat some algae problems. Turn off CO2 as well so as to not crash your pH and gas your fish.

As Hufsa said, crank up the evaporation with a fan, add an additional pump/powerhead/wavemaker that points up towards the water surface to really get some agitation, and yeah you can store your top-off water in the fridge or an ice cube tray as well.

If you have an internal heater unplug it and turn it off.....hot weather is when there most likely to fail and fry your fish.

I use a fan, DD make a couple that seem to work well and are a decent price. I have always felt that a cooler is overkill given the number of days on average we get of decent temperatures. Secondly we have been dealing with spikes in summer temperatures in the UK for a very long time without the hysteria in the MSM and government surrounding this possible heatwave. You only have to note the liberal use of the word may in all the reports and the red colouration as if the country is on fire. What happened to those friendly little suns on the maps that told us we were about to have a spot of decent weather similar to what France and Spain get for many months a year and they seems to survive rather easily and so do their fish tanks.

I just shut the windows and curtains in the tank room. For the average tank a slow rise in temp to the high twenties isn't a problem but if you have sensitive animals then you can try little water changes with cooler water, a fan or the other remedies mentioned above.

If it's feasible a few 3 gallon buckets cold water topped with ice cubes in the room together with the fan movement should help.

Back