• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tips on growing and trimming bylxya japonica

John Starkey

Hi all,can you give me some tips on growing and trimming the above plants please,do i need to trim the plants before planting,regards john.

Treat like any other stem plant. Remove the leaves from the bit of stem that goes in the substrate as they will die of anyway.

Hi Milla,thanks mate i will be planting them on saturday,regards john

hi,

if you are getting some through the post don't be alarmed by its tattered state as it does not in any way travel well. plant what is left and leave it to recover.

i have mine in eco complete under what i would call medium lowish light and it does well. I use EI ferts, it goes a touch yellow and looses lower leaves when you dont do enough trace.

For expanding what you have when it is going well just uproot the plant and seperate the plantlets into groupings. it is obvious when the plant in growing well where you should seperate, it does it for you really. Then replant.

I have found that each time i expand the area of the plant by splitting and replanting there is a bit of die off from below due to the fragile nature of the leaves.

My current fav plant.

Best Regards,

John

Hi John,

i always try to split my blyxa for a smaller look at the front of the tank, and i may leave the larger ones for the rear, i also cut back the roots to to about 1cm. Then i just leave it for a month for a very dense look. ;)

My current only plant. :D

regards,

Dan.

Back