• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tips on growing hc

naz

i have been trying to grow hc for a 2 mouths now with no succuss,brought 4 more pot yesterday,im gonna try some new things that iv read,pointing the spray bar down towards the front glass on to it,cranked up the co2,ordered some easy carbo going to yous some of that as well,i have a very deep ,24 inces, and the arcader hood is another 4 inches,has anyone got anymore tips on how to grow it,would be very helpful......thanks

260l tank,3 x39w t5,co2,eco complete,ferts ei,
everything esle is growing ok,just the hc,and the carpet plants realy,grasses,dont no wot type sorry.......

according to my investigations across the waters in asia, there's belief that temps around 26c help too. easy carbo is a good friend of HC too. along with mega CO2 and circulation to get it there. :D

Hi, with such a deep tank you'll also need to ensure that you have strong enough flow to penetrate to that distance. Following the 10X rule of thumb that means a total flow rating at or near 2600LPH.

Cheers,

I find with HC you need to give it the best possible start. For me, it sits around for a good while, doing nothing, then it takes off like a weed.

Usually when you first buy it, it will be in its emmersed form. It tends not to like the double experience of being immersed and planted out at the same time in my experience. What I usually do is drop it in to the tank in its pot, and let it change form for a couple of weeks. Once I start to get a decent amount of new growth, I then plant it out in very small plantlets, burying about 50% of it under the substrate.

So far, all my HC has been grown in Amazonia with EI dosing.

Dave.

hi forum..this is an old post,and just to let you no,that i failed with the hc the last time i tryed,i think a lot of things dident help, the flow of my tank was below par,and the substate was not the best, to grow hc,i know you should be able to grow it in any sub,but iv read on the forum that with eco com,people were struggleing to grow hc in it.i have just re scaped my tank and iv just ordered 6 pots of hc,so im going to try again,this time iv changes my substate for oliver knott sub,got a new filter pump,a eheim sump pump 1262 running through a reactor on to 2 spraybar joined together along the back rear of tank,realy pushing the c o2 on to the substate,iv cranked the co2 up yellow at the end of day....1 question iv got is about the lighting. iv got the lighting running at 2x39w t5 come on for 2 hours,then 3x39 t5 come on for 5 hour,then back to 2x39t5 for the last 2 hour, my tank is 260l tank,with the 3x39w going it is only about 2 wpg,and it is a very deep tank24 inch,do you think the lighting is enougth....i have the option of running 4x39w as i have an otl luminaire

Back