• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tired of gsa and bba

folks say that bba is triggered by inconsistent co2/ low level, my first tank was a mess, small filter, crazy high light, almost no ferts, i used diy co2 with yeast, there is nothing more inconsistent than that. I never had BBA during the entire life of the scape (1 year), since i upgraded to pressurized, i got BBA. the more i take care about the tank the more i get trouble it seems =)

with the now scape, i try to focus on co2, maintenance is good, i tried lots of things, can't beat bba, i havee a little bit, but you need to really search about it to see it, i think that nobody really know why that algae really come, if it's co2 why i never got it in my first scape ?

i did crazy things in the first scape, really cold water change, running filter without media for months... tha tank should've crashed but no, it was solid, no BBA anywhere, i had staghorn which disappeared a week after a water change, i did water change once a month...

Last edited:
Hey @sflaqua34 I've recently recovered from a catastrophic BBA issue in my 70L low tech. It persisted for about 6 months and was then solved when I did the following:
  1. Cleaned my filter intake (to maximise flow downstream)
  2. Positioned filter output slightly above the waterline (to maximise flow, surface diffusion and turbulence)
  3. Did a deep clean of my canister filter (and I now regularly schedule that into my maintenance routine)
  4. Did a deep clean of my substrate with a gravel vac (and I now regularly schedule that into my maintenance routine)
  5. Turn my lights down

Hope the above helps.

Funnily enough I'm now dealing with a GSA issue, it's been kindly suggested by other members to dose some extra Phosphate. I've started trialing that this week.

Back