• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tissue Culture Start

Hi, i am in the process of setting up a 125l aquarium with Tropica soil, Chihiros a-series light, pressurized co2 and EI. The majority of the plants i will be using will be tissue culture plants. My question is when i have the tank planted should i start straight away with EI? How long of a photo period should i aim for starting off the tank. Should i be doing more than a weekly waterchange starting out?

Any information would be great,
Jason

Hello,
I have just set up a new scape and just hit the one month mark. People do things in different ways depending what substrates/additives are used. But generally i would say:
1) start dosing pretty much straight away you don't have to and can wait 2 weeks. But i would dose from the beginning. you can start at half EI and work your way up.
2) i would say 6 hours total photoperiod including any ramp up/down times. Start lights at 50% (if you can) and bump up 5% or 10% a week as long as you see minimal melting.
3) do as many water changes as possible, i did 70-80% every other day for the first 2 weeks. Then 2x 70-80% water changes for another 2 weeks, then down to one per week after a month.

Hello,
I have just set up a new scape and just hit the one month mark. People do things in different ways depending what substrates/additives are used. But generally i would say:
1) start dosing pretty much straight away you don't have to and can wait 2 weeks. But i would dose from the beginning. you can start at half EI and work your way up.
2) i would say 6 hours total photoperiod including any ramp up/down times. Start lights at 50% (if you can) and bump up 5% or 10% a week as long as you see minimal melting.
3) do as many water changes as possible, i did 70-80% every other day for the first 2 weeks. Then 2x 70-80% water changes for another 2 weeks, then down to one per week after a month.

Thanks Sammy,

1 and 2 of what you said is what i was thinking i should do but thanks for clarifying it.
That waterchange routine you mentioned for the 1st month sounds good. Though saying that i have to use my outside tap for waterchanges as my house water is treated with a water softener(salt) so trying to change 70-80% of water while keeping the water temperature pretty stable is going to be tough.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do large waterchanges of about 80ltrs while being able to match the aquarium temperature?

I use rainwater, so have a similar problem. It’s a bit unsightly, but I fill up one or two large plastic storage containers the night before and leave them inside. They’re usually up to a usable temp by the following evening, then just a case of sticking a pump in.

I use rainwater, so have a similar problem. It’s a bit unsightly, but I fill up one or two large plastic storage containers the night before and leave them inside. They’re usually up to a usable temp by the following evening, then just a case of sticking a pump in.

Yeah i was thinking along those lines but using one of those plastic barrels. Its going to be unsightly and a bit of a pain but i guess i dont have much of a choice unfortunately

Back