• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc 400 led will they work for me

sa80mark

Hello everyone after a long break from fish keeping im back and am wanting to do a shallow planted shrimp tank the tank is 24 long x 16 wide x 13 high im wanting low light plants such as Anubias, various moses etc my question is will two of the 6500k tmc 400 tiles be enough ?
Any help or advice is very welcome

Mark

Hi Mark,
I use a 400 tile in my small tank which is very nearly half the width and same height and depth as yours and the lighting is just fine -
I have a Hemianthus carpet which is supposed to be helped by good lighting conditions so I would have thought that you would be
just dandy with two of them. I also have mosses and they grow just fine in there.
The 400's are neat, small and very cheap to run and long lasting - and personally I love the ripple effect that you get with LEDs.
Hope this helps,
Jerry

PS - I'm sure I've read somewhere that Anubias aren't supposed to be good with shrimp... something about a chemical in the root..
Might be worth checking out - sorry I don't know more but I don't have Anubias so I'm no expert
J

Hi jerry thank you for that, just what I was hoping to hear with the Anubias and shrimp from what ive read on various forums is that this seems to a bit of a myth to some extent. The two main things ive found is that when Anubias is trimed It releases oxalix acid which a few people believe lead to shrimp deaths the other and more common complaint is shrimp deaths after adding anubias with out washing it first I presume this has something to do with a copper based anti snail treatment but cant find any proof of this also I found that in all the things I read it was only crystal red shimp that have had problems.

Mark

Back