• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc grobeam co2 tnc+ with extra bba

malawistu

Hello iv been keeping fish for the last 12 year but have only recently started with planted tank previously i kept rift cichlid my first attempt was a 3ft tank based around the amazon basing witch had co2 and was dosed with jbl ferts but i had a big problems with algae after time that i did not have enough knowledge to sort this out and it took over but got a good year out of it this was how it looked
100_1389.jpg
100_1400.jpg
caec40af.jpg

After i had shut the tank down i decided to try a marine tank but because of work issues and money this was kicked in to touch but i still had a need for a tank so i got out one of my old 2ft tanks used the lights of the 3ft 2xt8's gro glow a fluval 205 play sand lots of wood and plants from a shrimp nano id just shut down too. The idea was to create a low tek planted tank that looked good and once i had managed to do this and have no issues and healthy plants i would up a gear to co2 more light and ferts this is how it looked
50ee288a.jpg

After 6 month i decided the time had come to have a go at upgrading so i asked about if anyone had a TMC 1000hd gro beam as a new one was too much lucky for me i found a 3mth old unit and controller for £80 invested in some tnc complete jbl aquabasis and a hydor power head 900lph got my old co2 system out and raided my bits and bobs to make a 2ft spraybar for the fluval emptied the tank put every thing in a large vat and started a little rescape this is not the worlds most impressive tank but its my try also only i phone pics better ones to come as the tank grows
4c8e6682.jpg
b96b928e.jpg

Re: 70l 2tf learning curve

Looking good Stu. :) The plants have really taken hold!

Well done.

Cut the tops off? :oops:

You should remove the longest leaves from the bottom of the plant and allow the others to grow tall and then repeat.

Ahh right. Its not the way I do it as it looks unatural and usually makes the leaves go a little yellow and bruised around the cut. Just my experience though mate and that's why I just pull any off that get too long.

malawistu said:
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20183&p=205031#p205031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this is where i got it from

From conversations I have had with some of the guys on here who have been aquascaping for ages, cutting the tops off is not the best way to do it. You damage the leaf and this can cause the remainder of it to deteriorate and die off. Definitely would advise going with cutting the longest ones off at the stem. This will encourage new growth too :)

Antipofish said:
malawistu said:
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20183&p=205031#p205031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this is where i got it from

From conversations I have had with some of the guys on here who have been aquascaping for ages, cutting the tops off is not the best way to do it. You damage the leaf and this can cause the remainder of it to deteriorate and die off. Definitely would advise going with cutting the longest ones off at the stem. This will encourage new growth too :)

Nope you can trim the leaves in my experience with the large americana gigantea, if you are careful and use sharp scissors. The occasional leaf doesn't like it but generally they keep growing.

Andy

minnnt said:
Ahh right. Its not the way I do it as it looks unatural and usually makes the leaves go a little yellow and bruised around the cut. Just my experience though mate and that's why I just pull any off that get too long.
Antipofish said:
From conversations I have had with some of the guys on here who have been aquascaping for ages, cutting the tops off is not the best way to do it. You damage the leaf and this can cause the remainder of it to deteriorate and die off. Definitely would advise going with cutting the longest ones off at the stem. This will encourage new growth too

I say try both and see.
personally i never had issue cutting the tops at whatever level. I normally just trimmed to water level for aesthetics. Admittedly it can look unnatural, so if that is an issue removing from the base would suit better. Vallis is a beast when it gets going so simply removing the longest ones for me meant taking it all out! :lol:
Surely though topping is what we do to all our plants?
Cheerio,
Ady.

70l 2tf learning curve

awtong said:
You have some very nice plump looking pencil fish there :thumbup:

Andy
thank you they are brilliant little fish always wanted some but never came across any till my new mha got some in also when the males start dancing around each outer there so entertaining

Sent from my miPhone using my fingers

I had a shoal of about 15 for quite a while. Lovely little fish. I also had some of the coral red and 3 line pencils in with them. Looked really nice together and got on really well too.

Andy

Back