• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TMC Signature - First planted tank

José Macedo

Hello,

After many failed attempts and some time away from the hobby, I decided to do some research and invest in better equipment and supplies.

For the time being, I’m only studying the layout, as you can see in the pictures.

I’ve already chosen the plants but I’m still undecided between the rotala rotundifolia and the ludwigia sp. to add some colour and contrast to the composition.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,
José

SETUP

Aquarium

TMC Signature 60x45x30cm

Filter
Eheim Experience 250T Thermofilter

Pipes
DoAqua Violet Glass VP-1 Outflow 13 mm (Lilly Pipe)
DoAqua Violet Glass VV-1 Inflow 13 mm (Lilly Pipe)

CO2
ADA CO2 Advanced System
Polen Glass CO2 Diffuser
ADA Joint Glass JG-007

Lights
Aurora Lights Aquaeden (30w - TC leds: 8000k)

Substrates
ADA Amazonia Powder
ADA Power Sand S
ADA Nile Sand

Hardscape
Ryouh Stone

Plants
Echinodorus tenellus
Eleocharis sp.
Eleocharis parvula
Eleocharis sp. 'mini'
Hemianthus micranthemoides

Aqua1.jpg

Aqua2.jpg

Aqua3.jpg

Attachments

• Aqua1.jpg
    Aqua1.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Aqua2.jpg
    Aqua2.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Aqua3.jpg
    Aqua3.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Theyre actually named aurora lights made for aqua eden
Nova calha led aquaeden - AQUAEDEN - Aquariofilia.net
The Portuguese copying ADA!! ;) looks like a nice light if the price matches ;)

promising start ....I love the hardweare

Thank you.

Bem vindos ao forum José :)
Very good start, nice rock work, also interesting LED light, you got more info on that? looks sleek.

Obrigado. The lights are aurora lights like Alastair mentioned. I'll try to get some more info.

Any suggestions between Rotala rotundifolia and Ludwigia sp. or other?

Cheers,
José

Any suggestions between Rotala rotundifolia and Ludwigia sp. or other?
Rotala will look better with the smaller leaves, nice colour too, the Ludwigia might be easier to achieve a nice colour compared to the Rotala!

Looking good and as said like the Ada style light how much did it cost also subscribed so keep updates coming mate

Thanks Dean

Hello everyone,

I want to thank you for all your comments and support.

After a little hesitation with the plants I finally decided on:

Echinodorus tenellus
Eleocharis sp.
Eleocharis parvula
Eleocharis sp. 'mini'
Hemianthus micranthemoides

The plants arrived this afternoon and I began planting immediately.

Here are two photos: one while I was setting the plants and the other one right after I filled the aquarium, so the water is still cloudy.

Cheers,
José

Aqua_Day1A.jpg

Aqua_Day1B.jpg

Attachments

• Aqua_Day1A.jpg
    Aqua_Day1A.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 101
  • Aqua_Day1B.jpg
    Aqua_Day1B.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 108
Hello again,

Here’s a little update on what I’ve being doing. Again, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

The photoperiod is 8 hours long, from 3 PM to 11 PM. I start the CO2 3 hours before the photoperiod - because the room where the aquarium is has some natural light - and I stop it 1 hour before the end of the photoperiod.

I trimmed the Eleocharis sp. and the Eleocharis parvula, so it can spread horizontally - maybe I should’ve done this in the beginning. I also increased the CO2 from 1 bps to 2 bps and I’m doing a 50% water change everyday. As fertilisers I’m using “Green Brighty Step 1” and “Brighty K” from ADA. Should I also use the “Green Brighty Special Lights”?

The Echinodorus tenellus isn’t looking very healthy but I’m hoping that it’s still adjusting. I’m also thinking about placing Marsilea hirsuta next to the rocks.

Here are some pictures from the 2nd and the 3rd days.

Day 2 - 01.03.2014

Aqua_Day2B.jpg

Aqua_Day2C.jpg

Aqua_Day2D.jpg

Day 3 - 02.03.2014

Aqua_Day3A.jpg

Aqua_Day3B.jpg

Aqua_Day3C.jpg

Cheers,
José

Attachments

• Aqua_Day2B.jpg
    Aqua_Day2B.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Aqua_Day2C.jpg
    Aqua_Day2C.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Aqua_Day2D.jpg
    Aqua_Day2D.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Aqua_Day3A.jpg
    Aqua_Day3A.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Aqua_Day3B.jpg
    Aqua_Day3B.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Aqua_Day3C.jpg
    Aqua_Day3C.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 140
Hi there,

Today I did some water testing and these were the results:

pH: 6,6
kH: 6º dkH
gH: 8º dgH
NO3: 25ppm
NH4: 1,5ppm
PO4: 0,1 ppm
Fe: < 0,02 ppm

I think the various parameters are normal for a 4 day aquarium but despite having read about this I still have some doubts concerning the phosphate - should it be lower? - and the iron - should it be higher?.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
José

Wow, beautiful tank... looking forward to seeing it fully grown.

About the PO4; I've had the same experience in one of my previous tanks where I used a soil (Flora Base). Dosed up to 8ppm each week, but the test kit only measured 0.1ppm. After contacting Colombo (manufacturer Flora Base) they told me that soils are absorbing phosphate. I just followed the EI dosing and never had any sign (read algae) due to low PO4.

"technical" explanation from Colombo was that test kits can't measure PO4 correct when using a soil, but plants can take enough PO4 from the soil.

Maybe others with the same experience can explain how this works better? :)

Just ignore test kits.... They are not accurate. Let your plants and fish tell you if you have a problem.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Wow, beautiful tank... looking forward to seeing it fully grown.

About the PO4; I've had the same experience in one of my previous tanks where I used a soil (Flora Base). Dosed up to 8ppm each week, but the test kit only measured 0.1ppm. After contacting Colombo (manufacturer Flora Base) they told me that soils are absorbing phosphate. I just followed the EI dosing and never had any sign (read algae) due to low PO4.

"technical" explanation from Colombo was that test kits can't measure PO4 correct when using a soil, but plants can take enough PO4 from the soil.

Maybe others with the same experience can explain how this works better? :)

Just ignore test kits.... They are not accurate. Let your plants and fish tell you if you have a problem.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Thank you for your support! I’m going to worry less about water testing and just see how the tank evolves.

great .. congrats

Thank you Robert!

Cheers, José

Back