• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TNC complete expiry date?

wormvortex

Does this stuff go off? Can’t see any date on it but I’ve an opened bottle that’s probably been sitting for a year or two. Is it still good to use or not?

Hi @wormvortex

Good question!

My bottle of TNC Complete also has no dates on it. Immediately to the right of the bar code is the following string of characters:

X000JAZKG3

The bar code itself is just a copy of the above string.

Some of my other manufacturers' ferts do include an expiry date. I think it's a very good question to put directly to TNC. As TNC Complete is supplied in a transparent bottle, it is not unreasonable to think that it could be degraded by light - particularly sunlight because of the ultra violet content. If you don't get an answer, it wouldn't be too difficult to check this out with the appropriate test kits. I could possibly check the N, P, K, Mg, Fe and Cu - if I can find the time to do this.

JPC

Awesome. I shall try and ask them
Directly. Speaking of ferts I was look at
The el dosing of tnc and it says to dose 18.9ml 2-4 times a week. Is that 18.9ml x4 which would be 75.6ml or is it 18.9ml split 4 ways? C6D2265C-4153-411A-AA50-6D4453BA6510.jpeg

Good question, and I don’t k ow the answer to that, but there are many far more knowledgeable folk around here who probably do.

Hi all,
but I’ve an opened bottle that’s probably been sitting for a year or two. Is it still good to use or not?
Give it a good shake, assuming that it doesn't have any precipitate in it? It is <"fine to use">.

If there is a precipitate you could try some gentle warming (a bain-marie approach). Even if you still have a precipitate present, then most of the ions will still be in solution, but some combination of iron (Fe), calcium (Ca) and phosphorus (P) will have precipitated out of solution and will no longer be plant available.

cheers Darrel

Hi Folks,
It may be fine to use in the sense that it's not likely to do any harm. But it could have been degraded due to light exposure. Particularly iron as a result of photoreduction. Yes/No?

And, of course, my comment above is only relevant if the TNC Complete bottle has been stored in a 'well-lit' spot.

JPC

Hi all,
But it could have been degraded due to light exposure. Particularly iron as a result of photoreduction. Yes/No?
Yes, the <"iron chelate"> can be photo-degraded by the light and once the ferrous (Fe ++), or ferric (Fe+++), ions are in solution they can combine with many other anions to form insoluble compounds.

Some of these compounds are extremely difficult to solubilise and basically that iron will have <"become unavailable to the plants">. This is why you can add <"iron compounds"> (iron oxide, iron chloride etc) to waste water to precipitate out orthophosphate (PO4---) ions.

cheers Darrel

Been sitting in a cupboard for the most part and then in a bag in a shed so not in sunlight or anything.

Here’s there response. Fair play for them answering so quickly!

On 21/06/2020 23:07, The Nutrient Company (Shopify) wrote

It chemically won't be much different from when I made it. I don't currently use expiry dates as I think they're often arbitrary and wasteful when blindly followed.
So generally common sense, eyes and nose. If it looks good, no mold has grown and smells OK - no sulpherous/foul/anaerobic odours.
It should be OK to use,

Nigel :eek:)

On 21/06/2020 23:07, The Nutrient Company (Shopify) wrote

Back