TNC Complete

steviez-uk

Hi all,

I have TNC complete to use on my no Co2 120l tank. What dose is recommended and should I do it per day or per week? same with liquid carbon... any suggestions?

Thanks

Aqua360

Hi all,

I have TNC complete to use on my no Co2 120l tank. What dose is recommended and should I do it per day or per week? same with liquid carbon... any suggestions?

Thanks
It's 1ml per 10 litres I think, should say on the front of it, i find it easiest to dose on a weekly basis, right after a weekly water change

TNC Complete’s Standard dose for a low-tech tank is 1ml per 10 litres, once per week.

For a high-tech planted tank, they recommend tripling that dose, and it seems a good idea to split it into multiple doses per week. This gives a rough approximation to EI dosing, although it’s a slightly lean version of EI.

Aquarium Gardens recommend doubling the triple dose, and this results in a somewhat rich version of EI, with nitrate and phosphate rather above the EI upper range; potassium is on the upper range. I’ve used this dose successfully, although I’ve now switched to DIY salts to try and run the nitrates a bit leaner (trying to make Rotala walichii go pinker). The “double-triple” dose of TNC Complete would, I imagine, start to get a bit expensive on larger tanks.

steviez-uk

Thanks for everyone's replies, ill probably use the standard recommended dose. Hope its the right fert for me as its such a mine field out there when choosing one to use!

Aqua360

Thanks for everyone's replies, ill probably use the standard recommended dose. Hope its the right fert for me as its such a mine field out there when choosing one to use!
Can't go wrong with TNC, everyone has their own brand preference, but I doubt anyone wouldn't use it if it was there

What light do you have? I note that you’re using CO₂ which implies medium to high light (otherwise there’s no real need for CO₂). If that’s the case then you need more than the low-tech standard dose of TNC Complete, otherwise the lack of nutrients will cause algae problems.

Fisher2007

If its any help I've been using TNC Complete for 7 months now on my 200+ litre high tech, which was set up on October last year, and also for 3 months on my 50cm high tech cube, set up in February this year. I use the Aquarium Gardens triple dose method, so 1ml per 50 litres per day. So 20ml in the 200 litre per day and about 7-8ml in the cube per day

Both tanks are doing really well. Have a look in the This to This thread for pics of my tanks, page 10 and 11

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/from-this-to-this.12636/page-10

Zeus.

You could also make your own TNC clone

upload_2020-5-7_11-1-48.png

to make the same comparative solution

upload_2020-5-7_11-3-2.png

Cost to make a litre
upload_2020-5-7_11-6-3.png

If your happy to use Urea - So we will call it the 'Darrel's TNC mix ;)' and use a cheaper trace as well

upload_2020-5-7_11-8-49.png

Cost to make a litre
upload_2020-5-7_11-10-9.png

very small extra cost to add some E300 and E202., but less than £1 per litre :angelic:

(Urea update for fert calculator coming soon :thumbup:)

Agreed. I used the “double-triple” dose for a few weeks and got good growth with no algae. Now that I’ve reduced the nitrates, I am getting tiny outbreaks of Cyanobacteria in the brightest parts of the tank, but they’re only a few square millimetres and hardly spread at all so I’m hoping it’s just a transient thing. But the “double-triple” dose of TNC Complete certainly seemed to work well.

Jack B

The OP referred to his 'no CO2' tank, implying low tech.

I'm currently using the standard dose of TNC on my 180L low tech, but would be interested to hear from people dosing differently. Am I right that 'double triple' is for high tech systems?

Ah, I mis-read that! Fair enough, the standard low-tech dose should suffice.

I'm currently using the standard dose of TNC on my 180L low tech, but would be interested to hear from people dosing differently. Am I right that 'double triple' is for high tech systems?
Indeed, either the manufacturer’s recommended triple dose, or Aquarium Garden’s recommended “double-triple” dose are for high tech tanks with CO₂ and lots of light.

Fisher2007

Missed that :)

Ah well, it he wants to go hi tech he has some info now :lol: