• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To DOOA Neo or not to DOOA Neo

Prabh_k

Hi All,

This is going to sound like a really silly and subjective question but here goes...

I got into aquascaping around 2 years ago and thanks to help from a variety of sources including this forum I have been enjoying it.

Snag in the aquascaping works - a baby on the way means I have to part with my beloved (first attempt) tank as the space needs to be used for a living room baby sleeper (we are in a 1 bed apartment)

The question is, given that I may only be able to fit a tiny 30 x 30 type tank on my desk if I wanted to continue - can I make a success of a DOOA Neo tank with just plants and no fish and potentially no filtration unless I can find a tiny hidden type solution.

What I am thinking is, I have really loved the nature near my workspace as I work from hom a lot as a calming influence on stressful days, but I can realisitcally look after a planted tank that is tiny without loads of tech to minimise algae etc - what does eveyone think can I make a low(ish) maintenance mini tank without too many bells and whistles, or should I hang on until I can put in another proper tank in the next place when we eventually have more space?

Apologies for the noobness of the question, but I have been back and forth in my head so much I really wanted to get some outside perspectives.

Ealy image of the scape before my glass pipe set arrived attached and a huge thanks Ray over at Scaped nature who really helped me with the wood and stones to make my youtube inspired vision a reality.

Kind regards

Prabh

Attachments

• IMG_3859.jpg
    IMG_3859.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 319

years back when I visited their gallery, I saw the dooa system in person. looks very very nice, clean silicone, stylish and very cute! perfect for a small group of tetras or rasbora! If you have the money I'd recommend it!

Equally you could absolutely do just a smalle glass cube with water and plants and maybe add in on of the ADA surface skimmer, they look really nice so won’t matter if it’s seen, will create some water movement and remove the build up of proteins and bacteria on the surface.

Ooo, I am being swayed and great options, I particularly like the last idea - agree the stainless steel looks lovely so you don't mind seeing it. Though I didnt actually knoww anything about the Waterbox AIO cube either.

Any suggestions on slower growing plants that would be slighlty easier to maintain??

I found on my existing setup (the one I pictured above) the Rotala variations that I had grew very quickly and the Weeping moss loved to float away as soon as the moss cotton disintegrated, so I am sure I did a fair few things wrong as I also made a bit of a mess of the Seachem Flourish glue for the moss as well.

You could just keep a nice simple epiphyte planted tank mate, Anubias, bucephalandra.
+1 for this. I have a 10 litre tank stuffed with epiphyte plants which are attached to small pebbles - you can move them around to ring the changes, and they grow slowly. You could also add the odd bit of wood with moss attached just draped over the top, and then take it out as and when for trimming.

+1 for this. I have a 10 litre tank stuffed with epiphyte plants which are attached to small pebbles - you can move them around to ring the changes, and they grow slowly. You could also add the odd bit of wood with moss attached just draped over the top, and then take it out as and when for trimming.

Great ideas, if you have any to hand would love to see some inspo images.

I’m moving home and so closed my tank down. I bought a tiny little pico tank from a guy who makes kits on Instagram (@pico.tank)
I just have bucephalandra and shrimp in there.

I just had a look at @pico.tank and they look really cool, so simple and cost effective solution - how do you find the visibility and or colour tinge if at with acrylic vs glass?

I just had a look at @pico.tank and they look really cool, so simple and cost effective solution - how do you find the visibility and or colour tinge if at with acrylic vs glass?
Mine is relatively new and doesn’t sit directly in the line of sunlight.
The clarity is far greater than glass, just be careful with it as it’s acrylic.
I had a lot of fun building it.

Definitely go for it. If budget is a consideration, due to having a baby on the way, All Pond Solutions do a 30cm low iron cube for £45.00. May not be perfect silicon though. Even just a large planted vase or bowl, although less "scapable" you can grow something emersed. I tried an Ikea vase, although a very impractical shape and no scaping involved. No filter, just a couple of Trumpet snails. Small amount of soil covered in fairly deep sand. Got zero algae in it.

20210724_164056.jpg

Back