• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To sump or n̶o̶t̶ to sump? (Swan Lake)

You mean like this? Then the right inflow directly blows into a cluster of thick ferns..
524e1ee8831e8cd3ddc79368441f26f6.jpg
Fair enough, it’s hard to tell that’s the case from your photo. Circular flow though is still the best way to avoid any dead spots I think.

I noticed today I made one fault in my design.. if the pump stops, water flows back trough it also and not only the overflow.. So i've got an out take at half of the tank that means that the half of the tank flows back to the sump.. :banghead:

Your pipes are stainless steel right?

If so, you just need to drill a tiny hole in the pipe at, or just below, the target water surface level. When the pump goes off, once the tank water level reaches the hole, it should start to let in air and break the siphon.

Edit: Either that or you could possible look at a non-return valve - but I don’t know how reliable they are in an aquarium water environment (thinking clogging of the membrane etc)

Hi I think your going to loose a lot of water flow with so much pipe length,corners and co2 reactor on the out flow of the pump. I would try to put the reactor on the Other side of the pump if possible.

Hi I think your going to loose a lot of water flow with so much pipe length,corners and co2 reactor on the out flow of the pump. I would try to put the reactor on the Other side of the pump if possible.

What do you mean by ‘the other side’?

The pump should pull the water through the reactor not push it. My understanding is these pumps work much better that way. It should create less head pressure for the pump.

I must admit, in my own research, I’ve never seen it set up that way - the pumps are always submerged in the sump.

Might be worth dropping an email to Aquamedic @DeepMetropolis for their take on it.

Ok I don’t want u to have to redo the whole thing again!
I just know that if u add a long length of hose or to many corners to the out flow of a pump u lose a lot of water pressure l/h.
I would have the pump in the sump to depending on the model of pump.

So far as my experiences with pot filters is if you restrict the inflow instead of the outflow in tended to suck in air cause it could not deliver the water supply that the pump would like to put out. I thought that it would apply in some way to all pumps as the intake of this pump standard is 32mm and the output is 25mm ...

I just know that if u add a long length of hose or to many corners to the out flow of a pump u lose a lot of water pressure l/h.

This is something I took in account when ordering this pump that I had more capacity then I needed.. I have jet to see if I've estimated right or wrong.. Still hope that I'm on the save side :)

Might be worth dropping an email to Aquamedic @DeepMetropolis for their take on it.

Yes I will try to mail them, they should know what they made..

This is what I've done. Cut a piece of plexi glass in the size of the inside and length of the weir, not longer else you will limit the flow trough the fitting.. Mark the holes for the screws.. Dril a hole of 4mm and use an m5 wiretap.. I had an unused inlet hang on thingy that had the screws that I could salvage..

Maybe I have to round off the sharp corner of the glass if it is to noisy but it is easy removable so I can always change that..
ef31bfe1f5c3a13ce93202b7f998aec4.jpg
dc4049f9bc3a7725224bd8c78854c633.jpg

This is what I've done. Cut a piece of plexi glass in the size of the inside and length of the weir, not longer else you will limit the flow trough the fitting.. Mark the holes for the screws.. Dril a hole of 4mm and use an m5 wiretap.. I had an unused inlet hang on thingy that had the screws that I could salvage..

Maybe I have to round off the sharp corner of the glass if it is to noisy but it is easy removable so I can always change that..
ef31bfe1f5c3a13ce93202b7f998aec4.jpg
dc4049f9bc3a7725224bd8c78854c633.jpg

Genius! I love a simple and clever after market mod!

Phew!! :clap:

Is that your working water level? Or will it be a little higher once the pumps start running?

Back