• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To sump or n̶o̶t̶ to sump? (Swan Lake)

Two years has passed this week, so far it was a good and educational.. Added some more manzi to cellebrate! :) Maybe some more planting above the water on the braches, orchids or something other?
49756535501_2afb043ec1_b.jpg

Wow what a great nature scape

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Would you say these lights are sufficient for slightly more demanding plants, like rotala macrandra? I continue to be torn between the aesthetics of lights like these and the natural light with shimmer they give, vs the desire to grow red/a bit more demanding plants and have those look good. Lovely tank, very natural feel :)

Would you say these lights are sufficient for slightly more demanding plants, like rotala macrandra? I continue to be torn between the aesthetics of lights like these and the natural light with shimmer they give, vs the desire to grow red/a bit more demanding plants and have those look good. Lovely tank, very natural feel :)

Thanks, I think it will grow r. macrandra the light is reasonably strong.. I bought it cause I like the shimmer effect also but if I would stand for a choice to buy it now I probably go for something else.. The plant/scape out shade others easily with these kind of lights you allways need to plan for this.

The plant/scape out shade others easily with these kind of lights you allways need to plan for this.
Think this is an attractive quality of point source lighting, there’s a real competition going on for a valuable resource for the plants. Starts to reveal their evolutionary advantages when push comes to shove.

So the tank is three years old now. Went without co2 for a few months because of the lockdown but now I found a store that had 10kg bottles and it will last me longer :)
51094424980_1dc9041d08_b.jpg

Another shot of my main viewing angle.
51093614851_1566129c41_b.jpg
Lovely aquarium, everything looks so healthy.

How’s the crenicichla compressiceps with the other fish? They have to be one of my favourites but every time I’ve given them a go they turn rogue at a point and start eating the fins of other fish.

cheers

Lovely aquarium, everything looks so healthy.

How’s the crenicichla compressiceps with the other fish? They have to be one of my favourites but every time I’ve given them a go they turn rogue at a point and start eating the fins of other fish.

cheers
Thanks!
The Crenicichla and the Apisto are best friends, strangely they love to hang out a lot, I never ever even saw them arguing not even at feeding times. There where only males where i bought him so he came alone. The store would contact me if some females come. But since they are doing so well i'm afraid that if I introduce females he might get territorial.

Thanks!
The Crenicichla and the Apisto are best friends, strangely they love to hang out a lot, I never ever even saw them arguing not even at feeding times. There where only males where i bought him so he came alone. The store would contact me if some females come. But since they are doing so well i'm afraid that if I introduce females he might get territorial.
Sounds like you got lucky! I think it would be best to keep him by himself without other crenicichla. Compressiceps are one of the most territorial species and will kill each other even in really large tanks. I tried pairing them up before in a 5 foot tank and it turned into a war zone with one dominant fish and the others cowering under rocks.

Back