• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To sump or not to sump

minimatt

Seedling
Hi I'm looking at a 4x2x2 tank with sump has anyone
Used a sump as a filter as I don't no wots best thanks matt

Hello,
Use a sump if it's easy to do for you and if you really like sumps, otherwise, why bother? There are few advantages atthis size and yet there are a couple of disadvantages. The easy option is Just follow the 10X rule and get an appropriately sized cannister filter.

Cheers,

If your not going for pressurised CO2 I would go with a sump, I will be soon as I get a massive filter and a big refuge for my plecos which cant go in a planted tank. I don't really like canisters on 400l + tanks as ther're harder to maintain and in a sump you can use filter socks. Even if you are going to use pressurised CO2 you can still use a sump, just be prepared to inject more as more gets gassed off.

Thanks il look in to this more as Iv not made this type of tank befor
Thanks matt

My tank is an elos120, it's a marine tank, therefore it has a sump. As per marines the sump gives you somewhere to hide all the ugly equipment that we don't want on view in the tank.

ln the first chamber of my sump l have 2 x eheim large internal mechanical filters, second chamber has my return pump and a couple of bio filters, l'm very happy with the set up. l did use an up atomizer for C02 injection, l found the atomizer really affected the flow of my return pump. l'm waiting on the post for a new atomizer to have ty-wrapped to my return pump, l'm hoping all the C02 will get sucked into the return pump and then into the display.

Mike

Back