• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's 30cm Cube

Ha, i can see you had a bit of a hack at the back.

Id definitely try to keep that moss in check at the front. Never had any experience myself with moss but it does seem to be distracting from the scape behind it slightly. Thought about a type of grass to go there? Eleocharis etc...

Im crap with sorting out algae..i just do what you have done...hack the plants back, scrape it off the glass, and if that fails (which more often than not..it does)

i cry...

(not really)

id ask here =] so youve done the right thing

Good luck as it is a promising scape

Howard

Re: Tom's 30cm Cube - Update 22/9/08

lowee said:
Ive had my first algae attack this week... Here is a pic of the algae...
We not only have the very same fish, but looks like we have the very same type of algae. This is astonishing. :eek:
If it is indeed the same, it should be Staghorn Algae. Does it have "branches"? I can't see them on the picture.

Garuf said:
You might find that the eden isn't really powerful enough for a cube, I'm running one on a 11" cube and I really don't think it's powerful enough and being unable to have an inline heater is a real pain.
The algae issue proves that Garuf might be right, staghorn algae are caused by poor water circulation (and/or low CO2). You might have to do something about that filter after all. I replaced my Eheim 2211 with a 2222 yesterday. BTW, I got ammonia spikes even with all the old load transferred to the new filter. I had to add some new siporax too, as the new filter is twice the size of the previous one. I will be able to report back on the flow issue in a couple of days.

Well your coments about the moss Howard confirmed something I had been thinking about for a while, so during a water change yesterday I decided to get rid of it, it was detracting from the scape and was a major algae magnet! Not sure what to do in its place, may get rid of the rocks and put somke dwarf hairgrass there, what do you all think?

Keymaker, don't think its Staghorn, just hair algae (Rhizoclonium), but the poor flow could be a possibility. Let me know how the new filter goes :)

DSC01332.jpg

Tom

I must apologise for the lack of activity in this thread, the tank has recently become totally over run with algae! So a couple of days ago i started adding excel (2x overdosed) and added another filter. (current flow rate is about 24x!) I will remove the old one after the new one has matured. And after removing the algae it has since failed to grow back and the water is looking great! The hairgrass hasnt grown quite as quickly as I would have liked when i was down to just one light, but now ive put the second back on hopefully it will speed up! Heres a pic I took tonight:

DSC01581.jpg

Im still undecided on the hairgrass, how do you all think it looks?

Tom

Give it chance, hairgrass can and often does turns into the most beautiful of aquaria plants.

Yeh my last tank had a lot of hairgrass in it and it looked really good, guess this just needs some time to grow in!

Thanks Mark, the plant is something I found at the Green Machine; 'Proserpinaca palustris' I believe. Turns a nice shade of orangey/red under strong light, hopefully i'll be able to get near that with the second light going!

Can't wait to see your new tank btw!

Tom

Yeh its been very easy, no problems what so ever. The changes in colour are really noticable in differing lights, while I had just the one light running it stayed green, but within a day of putting the second light back on its already turning I nice orange colour (as you can see!)

Tom

The tank is still going well, removed the old filter in place of the new one. Growth is looking a bit white on the p.helferi, so ive upped my tropica PN dosing. Sorry about my rather poor attempt at taking/editing photos, really cant get the hang of it!

DSC01604.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01592.jpg

Cheers
Tom

She's beautiful (is a tank masculine or feminine?)! It's grown in so well I bet you're proud.
Good fish choice too, planning on breeding?

Well this scape is pretty much finished now, just waiting for the hairgrass to totally grow in. The HC is growing very dense, so looks like i shall have to rip it up sometime and start again! Heres a picture taken today:

DSC01641.jpg

Hi nice tank, pretty much what I'm going for except it's a lil bigger.

Could you show me how big your Eden 501 is?

Back