• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's 40cm

Tom said:
I'm not sure on fish stock yet, but I want something that won't jump... Boraras brigittae ... so far).

Bother! Best laid plans of mice and men... How about some hatchet fish? :lol: But seriously, what's you attrition rate - is this a one off thing or a regular occurance?

I wonder if floating plants stop jumpers? I mean, evolution would surely weed out any fish silly enough to jump onto a lilly pad?!

I guess in the wild though they could just hop back in mainly.

Can you not have a really thin (4mm) piece of see trough acrylic and just have whatever fish you want? This would also minimise evaporation.

Sounds like a bad idea to me, I analysed rainwater when I used to do science and the amount of toxins and general cack in the samples meant it was borderline toxic.

Stoke-on-trent, If your not seeing any negative effects then it's probably fine, just saying it's something I'd never do since doing tests on stokes rain water.

I used rainwater off my shed roof in Nottingham for a couple of years before getting an RO unit and never had a problem with the water quality. I always filtered it through carbon slowly before use.

I just found it was sooo cold in winter going to fetch it from the top of the garden and then waiting for it to warm up. I also had to keep cleaning the barrel out as mulm collected. And then to cap it all off, we had a dry period one summer and I ran out!!!

Much happier with my RO unit now.

Just done another trim on the umbrosum today and replanted the tops on the left hand side in the place of the Java Fern, which wasn't doing well at all.

Another thought I've had is to have a short carpet of Riccia over the foreground and down the centre, as it would suck up the rest of the nutrients and hopefully limit the algae growth I'm getting...

I'm getting a bit of what I think is hair algae or possibly stagorn, mainly on the wood and rocks but also in the moss a bit. I got a new CO2 bottle today, so I've increased the bubbles to just over 1bps.

I'm nervous about whether to trim the R. indica as well as the umbrosum just in case I get more algae as a result of the lack of plant matter. Should I be ok to trim both or should I do it at different times?

Tom

Well this tank will probably be taken down this week, as I've basically messed it all up. All the umbrosum melted this week for some reason and so I was taking it out. When I was doing that, I knocked the big bit of wood over, and of course all the aquasoil/sand/rocks and plants went everywhere and the water now looks like soup. If I've ever wanted to quit anything totally, I think its now. I might try and recover it in the morning if I feel like it (which I doubt) but as it is at the moment, everything is on the desk/floor/wherever it landed when I got fed up with it :twisted:

Tom, welcome to my world :lol:

I'm sure you'll get it sorted again in no time. At least it will give you the chance to change anything that you were not keen on before ;)

Back