• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's 60P - Goodbye plants, hello Goldfish

Tom

I thought now might be a good time to start my journal for the 60P, which arrived yesterday from TGM, very well wrapped and packaged.

I will be using the Eheim Ecco Pro 300 that is currently running my Mini M, along with the 2kg FE and UP reg. I'll also use the lily pipe inlet from the Mini M, with the outlet I bought from AE a few years ago for my last attempt.

I also now have on order an Arcadia OT5 2x 24w luminaire, Flora Base Substrate and Grey Parts Set from AquaEssentials.

On my driveway are the sheets of MDF I will be using to DIY the stand. I will be doing another ADA style stand like my last one (should have kept it really!!) I'm just trying to decide for the back piece of the cabinet whether to rout an indent to slot it in, or whether to just cut an exact fit and glue in place. The latter is by far the easier and quicker way, but may not be the best.

More to come...

Tom

Re: Tom's 60P build - the DIY stage

Hi Tom,

looking forward to see your project :thumbup:

I began the stand today, first routing the rear edges of the stand so the back can be slotted in place. Went pretty well for me!!

IMG_4040.jpg

The first part is now gluing :)

IMG_4046.jpg

I have a few days off work this week, so hope to get it finished before I go back :) Will be giving it a thorough sealing with a thick covering of MDF undercoat/seal, then a few more coats. I think I will stick to the ADA Grey colour rather than be creative. Just looks so smart in grey.

Tom

Hey Tom,

This is looking great! I will be watching this progress - I am looking to build my own cabinet this winter as well for my new tank next year, very similar to how you are doing yours... so hoping to pick up a few tips :thumbup:

Pinned in place, and waiting for the glue to dry. I didn't want to have to pin it, but I didn't have any other way to hold the large pieces together while it was setting. I can just fill the indents afterwards and they shouldn't be visible at all.

The messy bits are just glue - it gets everywhere that stuff! Will dry clear too, and any excess will be sanded down. Gaps/Joins will be filled, then the sealing/painting will start.

IMG_4053.jpg

Tom

Thanks Stu, hopefully it will work out nicely :)

The construction is all finished now, and the glue is nice and hard. I've just been over it sanding down any rougher areas, and where the glue has squished out the sides. Heavy rain has stopped play today, but tomorrow I'll be off to B&Q to get some sealer and paint. Filling will also be done tomorrow morning.

Tom

Hi Tom, that's looking really good. Would you let me know what type of spray paints you will use to seal and waterproof the MDF? I have no woodworking knowledge to speak off, but am trying to build some luminaires. Thanks!

I think rather than spray paints I will probably just use brush-on paint. You get so much more for your money, and can then just use wet and dry paper to smooth it off. It will take a few coats, but will hopefully give a nice finish. The main think is going to be sealing all the joins well, as last time some water got into a chip and the whole thing expanded.

I'm wondering about the door too - it's a lot of weight to be held by some screws in MDF, so I'm thinking I might hold it in place with magnets. Well that's one thought anyway, I'm not sure what to do yet. I know last time I tried it, the door sagged with the weight. Any ideas would be welcomed :)

Re: Tom's 60P build - *Paint Question*

The light unit has arrived from Aqua Essentials, but the bulb colour is somewhat unexpected...! I might be investing in some new bulbs! I thought it was the Plant Pro bulb that gave the pink colour, but it turns out it's the Original Tropical.

Also, does anyone know how to attach this to the hanging kit? I haven't ordered the kit yet, but I assumed it just screws into the top of the unit like the old knock-off one I had. This unit has a completely smooth top, with no screw holes. [EDIT: sorted!]

IMG_4062.jpg

flygja - I used watered down PVA in the end to seal it. That was on recommendation of B&Q who didn't have any specific PVA sealers or undercoats. It's then been painted in a wood primer, which I apparently gave too thick a coat of! It ran a bit, so I had to sand it down this morning with wet 'n' dry paper. Didn't want to have to do that!! It's nice and smooth now though. Anyway, I'm now going to give it it's first coat of the grey.

IMG_4063.jpg

Thanks Bob,

I'm pretty confident it will hold the weight. I made one before from plywood for my self built 60x45x45 "epicfail" tank, and that was very solid. I do have another 60cm tank however, which may be worth using as a test run before the 60P itself. Say if I leave it filled for a few days, I think that will be enough.

The way the cabinet is build should give it plenty of strength. Here is another guide I found this morning on AquascapingWorld. They use 16mm MDF and I've used 12mm.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/magazin ... Stand.html

Well I've got 4 magnets that I'm thinking of using instead of hinges. That way, the whole door can be removed, and it means there isn't all that pressure on two hinges. It's a heavy door, and I can just see the screws tearing out of the MDF.

I've spent the last few hours sanding it right down, and it was reeeally smooth. Just re-coated it, and will sand it down again tomorrow evening after work if I have the energy. Need to get it looking nice!

Question - what makes the paint look blotchy once sanded down?

It's meant to be a flat grey, and looks good (but rough) once the coat has dried, and before sanding. I've been sanding it down with 1800 grit until I can see my face in it, but then it has little blue blotches or streaks in it. Does anyone know what causes it?

I've just put the 6th coat on this morning.

Tom

Re: Tom's 60P build - *Paint Question

Is it lignin lines in the wood or just blotchy?

Back