• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - New pics page 10

Truly stunning this tank! Shame it does take up a lot of space due to footprint!! Congrats, it just keeps getting better ;)

Aye, it's pretty unweildy. Ideally I'd want it in the centre of a room viewable from all sides, but that's unlikely to happen unless I win the lottery and can move into an enormous penthouse somewhere :p

All sorts of amazing, I'm increasingly envious! Wanna share some tips for trying this in a 2x1 footprint?

Garuf said:
All sorts of amazing, I'm increasingly envious! Wanna share some tips for trying this in a 2x1 footprint?

Put plants in mud, add light?

Don't buy a triffid :lol:

Slightly more seriously; plant heavily at the start, make sure your light is positioned to minimise shadows from emergent foliage, don't expect fast growth (except triffids) and don't expect plants to carpet unless you plant them incredibly densely to begin with. If you use houseplants, give them a few weeks to acclimatise to living in hydroculture before setting up the tank (it took mine about a month to switch to appropriate root systems), that way you're much less likely to run into algae at the start.

Garden centres, pond suppliers and homebase/b&q are your friends!

+1 for everything Luis said :)

Let's not get carried away here chaps :lol:

There are a lot of imperfections hidden in amongst the general chaos! Would do a video if I could, my trusty old D200 doesn't have a film mode though. Might see if someone at work has something suitable I could borrow...

Tom's Bucket O' Mud - New pics page 10

Tom, the beauty of the tank is just not how pristine it is, if it has perfect plants and so on. For me the beauty is on the detail and the balance that is stricken when we are trying to replicate a piece of nature while keeping it tamed. You have achieved that balance.

From the photos I have see that tank would not be out of place at the zoo or even at the natural history museum.

If you could add a fence to it and place some crabs on it it would be a perfect display to put on the zoo!

I would like a video, so that I could show my wife what I want to put on the sitting room. :) ditch the 42inch tv and put something like that on it's place . :)

Absolutely stunning. I love the way its totally self sustaining. :thumbup:

Well, the most exciting thing to update on is that there are now more fish - 6 Parosphromenus 'sintangensis' (trade name). Awesome fish, still pretty shy but just starting to colour up after a couple of days in the tank.

I was staking the tank out with the camera hoping to get a shot of one of the Paros (without any luck), and ended up snapping a few of one of the cherry shrimp... once I got them on the computer I noticed what seems to be white spots of some sort, any idea what they might be and if I should be worried?

Npjdme.jpg

9QrWCw.jpg

Last edited:
Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Fish pics page 12

The White spots to me just look like pigment in the shell, nothing I'd be worried about.

Back