• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Stumpy

I'm driving to Aberdeen for a week on Tuesday. I'm going to check out the Dundee shops on the way.

Took a few more shots tonight, still considering a rescape but don't think it looks too shabby now I've unclogged all the floating plants and the bottom is getting some light -

july12front.jpg

july2012sidet.jpg

july2012top.jpg

Well, I've got a whole bunch of new plants and hardscape cluttering up my room, but still in two minds about whether I'm going to redo it :lol:

Got some lovely new fish yesterday (Sawbwa resplendens) which have really brought the tank alive. I should point out at this point that as there's someone home almost all the time now the fish are getting a lot more supplemental feeding, so I'm not convinced the tank is really self sustaining any more. Certainly still low input though.

My macro kit is at work at the moment so just a couple of quick snaps. I'll try and bring the macro rig home this week and get some of the danios and loaches as well.

sawbwa2.jpg

sawbwa1.jpg

Well, I've got a whole bunch of new plants and hardscape cluttering up my room, but still in two minds about whether I'm going to redo it
Hi Tom, the answer is simple :idea: all you need to do is set up another tank; then we're all happy :D

Troi said:
Well, I've got a whole bunch of new plants and hardscape cluttering up my room, but still in two minds about whether I'm going to redo it
Hi Tom, the answer is simple :idea: all you need to do is set up another tank; then we're all happy :D

I've been trying to convince my other half of this, but sadly she's quite right that the only way we could get any more tanks in the room is if we removed the bed :lol:

Plus we might well be moving early next year.

Hi Tom

Still one of my favourites set-ups on here, but perhaps it is time for a re-scape.

Of course, it's always a shame to see a something so great go, but we all know that it's very likely that whatever layout you create next will be at least equal to, if not better, as no doubt you've learnt a lot during the journey and can implement any new ideas you've been pondering.

Love the latest fish selection, by the way. Do you have females in there too? They thrive in harder water if you fancy a breeding challenge...

Keep up the inspirational work.

Cheers,
George

Cheers George, pretty well sums up what I've been thinking.

I've got 2 female, 4 male Sawbwa (not an ideal ratio, but that was all the females they had). I'll be keeping an eye out for more females if they ever pop up locally. The tank is currently running pH 7.4 and 230-280ppm and I've spotted a couple of Danio erythromicron and Dario hysginon fry in there, so with a bit of luck might get some Sawbwa too.

I'm really hoping the Rosy loaches get at it as well, I finally find some females to add to the all male group I had but I tihnk they'll need to grow a bit first.

It's quite unusual to see females at all so you did quite well. When I kept my group I only managed to get 1 female and the LFS couldn't get anymore.

They have strong colour too. Really nice.

Andy

Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Stumpy

BigTom said:
Yup, think I'm going to try and get it rescaped this weekend. It's expensive though, having to find things for the better half to do all day while I make a monumental mess in the room :p
ha ha I don't envy you in both the 'monumental mess' sense or trying to get the better half things to do.
Are you planning on doing the whole thing on one day? That's some accomplishment if you do mate.
Are you going for a whole new substrate idea etc too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine it'll take all weekend. Might tear down Friday night... will be adding more substrate but hoping to reuse most of what is in there at the moment.

Still haven't quite decided what the new scape will look like, I keep getting different ideas. Will probably just spend a whole day making mud castles while trying to decide!

BigTom said:
......Will probably just spend a whole day making mud castles.....!

:D

Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Stumpy

BigTom said:
I imagine it'll take all weekend. Might tear down Friday night... will be adding more substrate but hoping to reuse most of what is in there at the moment.

Still haven't quite decided what the new scape will look like, I keep getting different ideas. Will probably just spend a whole day making mud castles while trying to decide!

Ha ha lol @ mud castles. Can't wait to hear/see what you do with it mate. From what youve said already its going to look amazing. I'm glued!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All change! After a rather intense afternoon and evening yesterday of unplanting, fish catching, water emptying, substrate separating, hardscaping, hours of replanting and finally refilling and restocking, I now have a... er, bucket of cloudy soup :lol:

Here's a little teaser whilst we wait for everything to clear -

rescapeteaser.jpg

Back