• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
So I did promise... just a quickie I'm afraid, rapidly approaching full on jungle again -

p4sz.jpg

Will try and do a quick vid later on (it's a nightmare for reflections in the daytime).

Stunning as always bigtom, yours and Al's tanks are always making me lean towards low tech, I have in mind a project which due to one of your posts I didn't rush (parosphromenus project forum link) lots of reading and I want to be sure I can provide the soft water and live food they need but I'm hoping next year. Looks stunning as always :thumbup:

Stunning... :thumbup:

Cheers Steve.

Very lush mate. Plant health is perfect and all the in habitants look super happy in their. Love this tank... I know ive said it a zillion times but tis true ;)

It's OK Al, you can keep telling me :p Yeah it's nice having all the different aged juveniles in there now, seems more natural having a range of fish ages.

Ready for those ferns yet?

Fantastic Tom, how long has your tank been running now?

Well, the tank was first setup in December 2010 and has been running ever since, but has been through several iterations and this last rescape is 4.5 months old.

No words to describe such beauty... Really impressed, just finished to read the whole 30 pages of this thread and I'm looking forward to reading some more!

No words to describe such beauty... Really impressed, just finished to read the whole 30 pages of this thread and I'm looking forward to reading some more!

Thanks very much indeed. I'm afraid I'm not the most prolific updater, mainly because everything happens pretty slowly with low tech, so it might take a while to generate another 30 pages!

Wow Tom, that is excellent, really does show that low tech can have massive plant mass and lush too. I love the fact that it is well carpeted. Do you think this could be accomplished on a standard shaped tank, or does it need to be wide and shallow?
Actually what is the dominant carpet plant, is it "Alistair's magic weed"?

The carpeting has definitely been more successful since I added some water flow to the tank. It's mainly Lilleaopsis brasiliensis but with some little bits of L. mauritania, E. acicularis, M. 'monte carlo' and good old Glossostigma mixed in, all of which seem to be doing fairly well. I tried glosso once before when it was a zero-flow setup and that was pretty unsuccessful. Whether that's the flow itself or improved CO2 levels from surface movement I couldn't say.

I've no doubt that having a high surface area:volume ratio is hugely benefitial for a low tech setup, but as discussed in the following thread a good trickle filter might also prove a good way of effectively achieving the same thing - Maxing CO2 in Low Techs | UK Aquatic Plant Society

I still find this tank astonishing. Its a beautiful beautiful thing!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back