• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Mini M

Tom

A couple of people have asked about a journal for this, so I thought I'd start one. I've had it for months now, and not been able to plant it up because the other tank has all the equipment on it. I'll be moving the FE CO2, UP Reg, Eheim 2036 and glassware over when that's done. For now, it's looking like a dry start, which I've not done before.

Plants will likely be Spiky moss, HC, Glosso, E. parvula, Crypt parva and maybe some H. micranthemoides that I have emersed at the moment.

This time I would like to try an in-line diffuser or reactor on the Eheim (9mm/12mm hoses I think). I haven't really been able to get effective diffusion from the ceramic diffuser in the 10 liter straight into the inlet, and still have BBA with 1.5 bps. If you have any suggestions (even DIY), just shout :)

Lighting is going to be 18w, which is less than the 24w I used on my last few successful tanks of this size. I'm scared of lights these days! It's a bit too pinky for my liking, so I may change it at some point. It's quite an old bulb too, as these things go.

Anyway, here's what I got from TGM on an epic 500 mile round trip. In one day. In a car with dodgy injectors that had to be kept at 2500rpm+ or it would stall. :lol:

IMG_1969.jpg

And the layout so far. I haven't used wood in ages, so I thought I'd try some nice branchy pieces I've had for a while and never really used. The stones are from the river in Langollen on my TGM trip. Substrates are ADA Amazonia Powder, ADA Power Sand L (small portion, was cheaper and I'm skeptical!), ADA Forest Sand Branco.

ResizeAssistant-2-3.jpg

I filled it a couple of inches this morning to prepare for the dry start. At the moment I only have the Spiky moss and micranthemoides to use, but as of the beginning of Feb I hope to have the rest. I was going to use Tropica from TGM, but now I'll be using theplanttank.co.uk and plantedtanks.co.uk based on good reviews and prices.

ResizeAssistant-1-5.jpg

And all that's taken several months so far....

Tom

Looks good, Tom. I love the Mini M system. :D What lightning will you use?

The rocks look really great on your last pic. :thumbup: Looking forward to see a full shot of the scape!

Thanks Johan :)

Right, I've gone and done it - I've ordered the plants early! Can't be doing with this waiting thing. They should be here early-mid next week at a guess. Some may come Friday, I don't know.
I got:
3x Hemianthus callitrichoides
2x Glossostigma elatinoides
3x Echinodorus tenellus (swapped the hairgrass at the last minute! I hope it pays off)
1x Cryptocoryne parva
1x Eleocharis parvula

And all for £26 posted from theplanttank.co.uk and plantedtanks.co.uk! Can't be bad at all, just hope they're decent. :D :D :D

Tom

You done it!!! Nice one haha

Plant list looks good mate, and so does the kit. I'm sure yourll do it justice.

Can't wait for the plants to arrive and to see more pics.

Moss not yet in final positions, I've just dropped it in for now. It won't be along the top of the branch when I do it properly. Good news is that nothing's dried up yet, which was my fear of dry-starts! I flooded the tank for a day as George suggessted, and dropped the level back down for planting the HC I got today. The stones at the back left will be moved either later today or tomorrow when some more plants come, as I have a more strategic position for them. Then HC/Glosso/patchy Hairgrass will cover the whole back left area.

I might also raise the substrate level at the back

IMG_9039.jpg

Re: Tom's Mini M - Full Shot

Looks very good, Tom. :thumbup: The broken branch on the wood, in the centre of the tank, is IMO, a bit overpowering, but that will probably not be visible, once the plants have grown in...

hey tom

Looking good, what stone is that?

Andy

Hi Andy, it's just stone I picked up in the river in Langollen near TGM :) I got several different sizes, all of the same colour/type, and scooped a bit of gravel too. I like the way it looks - I wasn't sure how it was going to work at first.

Looks fresh !!

The stone looks brilliant, I agree the 'stump' is abit strong but I'm 100percent it'll looks fine when its matured a little. What are you misting the tank with, ferts wise?

Keep the pics coming mate :)

I love llagollen did you go on the train?
Bets y coed is good for rock collecting too, especially if you follow the road through the mountains, loads of old quarries with rock kicking about.
Scape looks great but they yours always do.

Ryan, I'm just misting it occasionally with plain old water. Most of them will root in the Aquasoil so I'm not too worried about ferts. The moss has been growing for the last couple of months in a tuppaware pot with no ferts added whatsoever, and it's done nicely so far.
I'm hoping that the moss will cover some of the stump to make it less "sticky-outy", and when the tenellus is in behind it should look better. If not, it might get the chop...

Nah Gareth I drove, and didn't go on the train in Llangollen. It was raining anyway, so I got my stones and some awesome fish and chips and left. I had camping gear with me for if it was good weather, and I was going to stay the night near Bets y Coed. I was looking at the river through there on Google maps before I went and it looked really interesting and followed the road. Was a shame, but I'll do it next time. Maybe in Summer.

Back