• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Mini M

Re: Re: Tom's Mini M - Shots of new growth 31/01

Cheers Paulo, have done :) Some of it is still going up, but some is now horizontal

Just a couple of overhead shots...
IMG_9227.jpg

IMG_9237.jpg

Tom said:
Cheers Paulo, have done :) Some of it is still going up, but some is now horizontal
Just keep doing it and eventually all will be growing horizontal ;)

Looking good :)

Re: Tom's Mini M - Shots of new growth 31/01

Looking superb mate, looking forward to seeing it a bit more matured. Excellent job :thumbup:

Cheers :)
Not much to report, but my camera's back from Canon so I've been playing with the 24-70 :) I keep being tempted to fill it up for a minute or two to see how it would look. Surely it can't hurt, right? :p
There's some leaves going yellow and quite a bit of Crypt melt, but there are more leaves coming through in most cases

IMG_84741.jpg

IMG_84751.jpg

Tom

Re: Tom's Mini M - Shots of new growth 31/01

Looks great, Tom!

I don't think flooding it will hurt and you'll get a better idea about the composition too.

Or you could tread the 'delayed gratification path' and wait it out...

Are you spraying with a nutrient-rich solution? Rainwater? Tapwater?

I can just see things floating up and away when I fill it, so I might wait for now! Or at lease not go past the substrate level. That might be an idea, then it makes sure it's all still moist enough.

I was using just tapwater in a plant sprayer and spraying a couple of times a day, but I poured some TPN+ in there too as I have been trying some HC emersed in inert sand to see the difference in growth (I'm struggling with it!) and using the same bottle for spraying.

Tom

Re: Tom's Mini M - yet more shots of growth 11/02

I've just replaced the frosted perspex lid with some glass that I fairly unsuccessfully cut to size! It lets a lot more light through obviously, particularly in the corners. The perspex was bending under the light too, so it wasn't as humid as I would have liked. The glass now fits flat to the top of the tank. I'm thinking that might be some of the reason for losing some of the tenellus, that it wasn't humid enough.

More pics anyway!!
IMG_8607small.jpg

IMG_8605small.jpg

The spiky moss is starting to take shape even if it won't attach!!
IMG_8606small.jpg

Here's the test of the HC growing in inert substrate with just TPN+ sprayed on daily. Just getting going after a week, it is a lot slower than that in the aquasoil.
IMG_8602-1.jpg

Tom

Time to fill it up soon?:)

I'm not sure, because the Crypts don't seem to be rooting which is a right pain. I'm also getting a lot of the old tenellus growth dying off, so I'd like to leave it a while longer for it to sort it's life out. There are a lot of new leaves coming through, but I want a bit more that that before it's filled.

Filling would also mean the end of the 10 liter due to lack of equipment, and I'm determined not to give up on that! It's been limping along so long, and now things are looking up it's a shame to stop it before it's done! I reckon give it a month or 5 weeks. It's only been 3 so far

Tom

Good luck with the crypts and tennelus.:)

Re: Tom's Mini M - Shots of new growth 11/02

Looking very good Tom, you've definately got more patience than me mate :D I'd have had it filled a while ago and then probably regretted it :lol:

Re: Re: Tom's Mini M - Shots of new growth 11/02

Nice one tom, any chance you could do a side by side of a specific area when planted to now? Would be cool to see how far its come, having a little side by side action would show good detail :)

If you can hold out at least give it another 3 or 4weeks.....I just wouldn't be able to personally. Or I'd try and keep both running emptying my wallet further haha.

Cheers mate, good detail pictures too .

Re: Re: Tom's Mini M - Shots of new growth 11/02

just read the whole thread, and you have some really good growth, and the scape looks awesome! Really impressed with the HC.

Re: Tom's Mini M - Shots of new growth 11/02

nayr88 said:
Nice one tom, any chance you could do a side by side of a specific area when planted to now? Would be cool to see how far its come, having a little side by side action would show good detail :)

I haven't got of the exact same area with different growth, but this is the best I've got. It's the same area, just a different shot. It's not straight after planting either, so they're not too far apart time-wise.
IMG_9107.jpg

IMG_8605small.jpg

Tourney said:
Looking very good Tom, you've definately got more patience than me mate :D I'd have had it filled a while ago and then probably regretted it :lol:

Yeah I'm determined to make it work! The last time I set up an ADA system I completely messed it up and wasted a a good £300 on stuff!! That's why I was out of the hobby for 18 months or so. This time it will work!! :rolleyes:

JEK said:
Good luck with the crypts and tennelus.:)
Cheers, I'm sure they'll be fine. The new growth is looking promising, it's just the Crypts aren't rooting very well yet. The roots had been chopped by the seller and were bunched, rather than potted. The old stuff has rotted away, so hopefully they'll throw down some new roots soon.

ianho said:
just read the whole thread, and you have some really good growth, and the scape looks awesome! Really impressed with the HC.
It's the first time HC has worked for me - The aquasoil is working wonders so far, compared to the inert gravel I'm also trying.

Tom

Back