• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Poco Pozo

I would definitely go for an old dream of mine. A large group of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi (of course, wild caught or descendants thereof), which, as I remember from other Mikolji videos, is also an inhabitant of the morichales. With a tank that size you should be able to see some complex social behavior.

Thomas

I would definitely go for an old dream of mine. A large group of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi (of course, wild caught or descendants thereof), which, as I remember from other Mikolji videos, is also an inhabitant of the morichales. With a tank that size you should be able to see some complex social behavior.

Thomas

Hi Thomas. Yup, wild type rams are definitely on the potential fish list, although there's some stiff competition in the cichlid category - Dicrossus (maculatus, filamentosus and gladicauda have all been recorded in these habitats), Apistogramma guttata (top of the list) or perhaps megaptera or hoignei (all hard to find in the UK), Biotoecus and Biotodoma wavrini are all making a case for themselves! I'm going to stock gradually so it might come down to what I can find at the time.

Love the fact your such a fish geek Tom :)
No doubt what ever goes in it, it will look natural, tranquil and stunning.... And make it look easy at the same time!
I'm excited for you, long time since you've had that new scape feeling.

Goes without saying I'll be along for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, i've been a fan of Ivan's series and clips for a long time.
I'have been researching a nice planted biotope to recreate in a tank for 2 years already. You'll need a clearwater river/creek, and these are not abundant. Best documented are Rio Bonita area and the Pantanal. Other places usually are clear water for a short period and so not planted (rest of the year white water).The flooded areas can be clear too.
Interested to see what you come up with.

Hi all,
Apistogramma guttata
I think Mark Breeze is the ~ only person with these in the UK.
megaptera or hoignei
megaptera ("Breitbinden") occasionally arrives as a contaminant, a male should be findable, I'm not sure about females however. A. hoignei also appears occasionally.
Dicrossus maculatus
I managed to kill mine by over-feeding them, but for the 18 months I had them they are probably the "best" fish I've ever kept.
Talking about crenicichla: i've had and bred Crenicichla compressiceps in the large tank
That's an achievement, tell us more. I've never kept them, I was tempted but they are meant to be extremely aggressive to one another.

Darrel

Hi all,I think Mark Breeze is the ~ only person with these in the UK. megaptera ("Breitbinden") occasionally arrives as a contaminant, a male should be findable, I'm not sure about females however. A. hoignei also appears occasionally. I managed to kill mine by over-feeding them, but for the 18 months I had them they are probably the "best" fish I've ever kept.
Darrel

Thanks Darrel. I did message Mark Breeze last week but didn't get a reply. I'll try bugging him again when I'm set up. D. maculatus seem to pop up semi-regularly on the UK Apisto Breeders facebook page and do look very tempting. I haven't kept anything from SA since my first community tank 10 years ago so I'm a bit like a kid in a sweetshop at the moment.

Hi all,
Thanks Ed, Crencichla pictures noted in "400 gallon" they are lovely.

This is Apistogramma megaptera, this one belonged to Lukasz "Ruki", a great Polish Apistogramma breeder.

broadband4.jpg

cheers Darrel

Some slight progress to report, although I'm mainly stuck decorating at the moment.

Stand is painted, waxed (still needs buffing) and assembled and today I put down the paintbrush for a couple of hours and went to the cracking Hardy Exotics nursery in west Cornwall, where I picked up a palm grass (Setaria palmifolia) and a couple of ferns (Pteris cretica and Blechnum chilense) for the riparian section. Had a bit of an initial play with some of the hardscape as well, although a lot of it is currently soaking in the pond.

f97w.jpg

6hfg.jpg

Looks great. That root is fantastic! Is that another free find? That room looks great too! I'm guessing its an old house you have bought?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Looks great. That root is fantastic! Is that another free find? That room looks great too! I'm guessing its an old house you have bought?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cheers Ali. The stump is a find, the 'roots' are manzanita that I got from Troi via eBay a while back. There's ivy, willow and a little bit of Scots pine soaking in the pond at the mo.

The house is Mum's new place, I'm staying here for probably the rest of the year while we do it up. The tank is in an old cob-walled outbuilding which is now a studio/office. There's a skylight directly above the tank so I think it might end up being mainly lit by natural light.

Should be somewhat warmer than the far reaches of Scotland for early morning photography :snaphappy: :D

Back