• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonina fluviatilis

Hi all,
Fe should react quickly i guess
Most iron compounds are insoluble, this isn't as much of a problem in acidic conditions, but once you get above pH7 most of the iron will be insoluble.

Because iron isn't mobile within the plant it will only be new leaves, which grew after the iron addition, that will be darker green.

cheers Darrel

20171026_185107_001.jpg
Been adding some CSM-B too and upped the light with an LED
They seem to be struggling a bit, will see if i can add lighting hours

Hi all,
Not sure if i keep them in this tank or transplant them to a small container in the windowsill? South or east? Just a closed plastic container
I might try the south facing windowsill.

Tropical sun-light is incredibly bright and I think light intensity is one of the problems with over-wintering <"Ludwigia sedioides"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Very interesting thread. It's one of the plants I hope to grow successfully some day but so far have not been able to find any for sale. When that happens I now have some more ideas about what to do with them. Thanks.

Hi Edvet,
thank you for sharing your experiences, but as far as i can see on your pics the plant is NOT Tonina fluviatilis.

I think your plant is Syngonanthus sp. manaus (formerly also known as Tonina sp. manaus.
Usually you can float these plants very easily, if the stem becomes bad, just cut the head of the plants and use the head to plant it new. It gets some new lateral shoots then.

There is a similar plant called Syngonanthus sp. belem, which has leaves that are more bent downwards.

bye

Last edited:
Hi all,I might try the south facing windowsill.

Tropical sun-light is incredibly bright and I think light intensity is one of the problems with over-wintering <"Ludwigia sedioides"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Completely agree. I’m growing micro orchids and bromeliads in a vivarium and I’ve been reading about their light requirements. Our very powerful lights for a planted tank just deliver what can be measured in the shade under a tropical tree. Being an emersed culture I would use the most powerful light you have for 12 hours

Jordi

NOT Tonina fluviatilis
Thx, i gathered that too. It may be this plants has a more exotic origin, and than it maybe a complete other one like Syngonanthus anomalus.
I tried floating a few of these and the didn't realy take of. I still have a few in other locations and the grow veeeeryyyyyy slooooow, but some have flowered

But it's definitively a beautiful plant.. I hope you make it work.. :)

Hi all,
The have a decent root system, but dry air isn't what they like seemingly
I'd try keeping the lid on. Once the air cools down outside you get problems with the <"relative humidity dropping inside the house">.

The cold air entering the house is often fully saturated with water, but that isn't very much water vapour due to the cold temperatures, as the temperature rises inside the relative humidity drops really rapidly.

cheers Darrel

Got a new order in today, these are Tonina. They looked fresh as in just potted. So i divided them:
1) floating in an established tank which has about 90 Microsiemens hardness
20171102_144043.jpg

2)lying in the wet with the other Syngonanthus under artificial light
20171102_144052.jpg

3) potted up in wet gardening soil in the south facing windowsill
20171102_144118.jpg

Floating like that it kinda resambles Elodea a little bit. What's the plan, keep it floating till it grows tall enough to reach surface from the substrate? What is the height of the tank you want to put them in? I guess not that tall since i think to remember you would like them to grow on emersed in a riparium/paludarium setup?

Back