• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonina fluviatilis

pirotake

Seedling
I saw this in Brazil recently and thought some of you might be interested. The first picture shows them growing submersed and the second emersed. The location is near the city of Santarém in the state of Pará. It was found in a stream which joins one of the tributaries of the Amazon close by. It is really a stream hence fluviatilis I suppose, and the water movement is actually mildly quick in which the plants were being moved gently but constantly. The major difference from our tanks was the shallowness of the water: only 3in to 6in max and any deeper, this plant was not seen. Probably this means this is a plant of the floodplain, not a true aquatic plant. The main part of the stream bed was all sandy (whitish sand) and where the plants were, it was covered thinly in brown sediments and goo. I didn't have the water test kit with me as I was on business!
img0788j.jpg

img0786.jpg

Great little plant. Always interesting to see plants in their natural habitat.

Thanks for posting
James

As you can see and if you know how things are hydrologically in Brasil, you know that these plants, as well as all river plants are exposed to very large water level changes every season, so they are underwater for a few months, but mostly above water, same for swords, Crypts etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Nice business trip.

What do you mean you didn't have your water test kit with you? Mine's like my Amex card: "Don't leave home without it" :lol:

Seriously though, nice to see plants in their natural environment.

Many thanks for the post.

Back