• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonys 'Nano Rouge' 14L

Re: Tonsers Nano Rouge

looking good Tony,

Tenellus turns red under high light and when healthy, il have some after a trim

i do alot of "geeky" things in my life to counteract my all to "trendy" friends but i have to say the amount of time i spend thinking about arranging groups of 3 or 5 rocks takes the biscuit.

god i love aquascaping. :D

looks good Tony, time to get planting.

Best Regards,

John

Thanks guys.

james3200 said:
Tenellus turns red under high light and when healthy, il have some after a trim

Good point James, and thanks for the offer. I do have some in my discus tank so I might try it and see if I can get it to turn red.

That said, the chance of Aarons plants from "the forgotten valley" was too good to let pass, so the planting may be greener now ;)

Cheers

Tony

I have a 35w tungsten desk light above the tank at the moment - is that just going to be too much light for 14l - it works out about 8wpg, but I'm not sure if that means the same with a warmer tungsten light source :?: ?

I do have an 18w Superfish nano light, but it clips on to the side of the tank whcih I didnt really want :(

Tony

Hi Tony,

Nice tank! I've been meaning to do something similar for my desk at work when I can afford it! (it'll have to be small to avoid facilities kicking up a stink :))

I like the look of the Tungsten light, but I'd wonder if it'd output enough of the wavelengths required for plant growth (might be talking out of my posterior here, but my experience of growing a pot-plant at work under a tungsten light wasn't good :) ). Also, heat off those bulbs might be an issue? Probably not if you haven't got a heater in there, but it's something to think about maybe?

I've got an Arcadia ArcPod on my little cube at home and although it's small and doesn't look THAT great it does put out a lot of light and I've had HC and all manner of plants growing under it fine (and unfortunately a nice carpet of algae once I got back from my SA trip at the end of last year).

Good luck with your project!

Matt

mjenner said:
Arcadia ArcPod on my little cube at home and although it's small and doesn't look THAT great it does put out a lot of light and I've had HC and all manner of plants growing under it fine

Thanks for that Matt, and pleased you like the tank too. I've gone for the 18w SuperFish light for the minute. I may try the 35w tungsten in a few weeks once the tank has matured a bit, but I do like the 'cleaner' light that the 18w gives.

Tony

I planted the tank last night !

My Pogostemon Helferi and Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' arrived yesterday (thanks Aaron) and I grabbed some Eleocharis Acicularis from the lfs too. The CO2 setup arrived too (thanks Ice) so that was installed.

I split the E.Acicularis into small clumps, and put a row of those across the back first, though its now been pointed out to me that it might do better if split right down in to individual stems, so I'll do that at the next w/c .

I also put the Pogo Helferi in places around the base of the petrified wood.

NanoRouge_8b.jpg

Then I did a few warm up stretches and settled in for 90 mins of HC planting :lol: Thanks for the advice Saintly :)

Even planting in small groups of stems like I did took some time, and this is only a 12" x 10" nano. Reckon I'd have to do a course of yoga or something to do a larger tank, planting the stems individually :lol:

NanoRouge_9.jpg

So I cranked the CO2 up, and after an hour the DC was showing yellow. I've got it, and the light on timers from today, with a 6 hour photoperiod, and the CO2 half an hour before the lights.

Within half an hour of filling the tank, there was some pearling going on, so I guess something is right 8)

NanoRouge_10.jpg

NanoRouge_11.jpg

NanoRouge_12.jpg

I've got some of LD's cherry shrimp arriving on Friday, which will be going in here - would that be too soon for livestock ?

Cheers

Tony

Wow, looking really nice, you've gone with a look similar to the one I'm planning in my tank's foreground! :)

Can I ask you, how many pots of pogo and HC did you use? I'm trying to get an idea if I've ordered enough :).

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks ! Looking at it with fresh eyes this morning, I think the greens might all be too similar once they grow, but we'll see :D I might try some E Tennellus in there, and see if I can get it to go red 8)

The acicularis came from 2 AquaFleur pots, whilst the others came out of Aarons Forgotten Island scape. I'd say there was the equivalent of 5 pots of Tropica HC, and probably 4 pots of Pogo Helferi too.

So about 11 pots for a 12" x 10" area - it doesnt go far when you are carpeting !

Cheers

Tony :D

Re: Tonsers Nano Rouge - planted !

:wideyed: Arrrgh, ok looks like it's going to be a while till I get a carpet in my tank!

I'm just going to have to spread it about as thinly as I can and hope it grows... I know the HC in my tank grew from it's original clump (1 Tropica pot) into an area about 10cm2 in about 4-6 weeks when it was in my cube before the algae struck. I'm hoping the nets I've ordered are a bit larger (size wasn't specified, but it was about £7.50 from Java-Plants, so knowing their usual prices, I'm hoping for a large-ish amount).

I've got a load of Hairgrass on order as well, so I might do one area with hairgrass, and another with the HC...

Mmm, could be nice, although I think different textures in the green could look good too, that's what I'm hoping to do with my tank, HC and Pogo in the foreground, with low bushy stem plants behind. I look forward to seeing what it looks like in a few weeks! :)

the acicularis will take on a dark green colour. you dont get the pale green unless it bends under high light.

IMO theres only about 3 pots worth of HC.

2 pots in a 12x 10 would cover in no time at all.

it's about how fast you want coverage.if you want quick coverage get more, if not get less. more is always good though :D

e tennelus wouldn't go a miss too

saintly said:
the acicularis will take on a dark green colour. you dont get the pale green unless it bends under high light.

thats good to know, ta.

saintly said:
IMO theres only about 3 pots worth of HC.
probably right Mark, I forgot I'd put quite a bit in the discus tank too, to see how it grows,

Having had pearling straight after planting last night, I now have no pearling at all :?: Lights have been on since 9:30, and the CO2 since 9. Drop checker is showing lime green. Dosed EC and TPN+ last night, but not yet today.

Any ideas why the pearling has stopped ?

Cheers

Tony

Tonser said:
Hi Steve

I thought that when I first saw it, but it was definately pearling - the bubbles were swelling from the leaves and had the 'crystal' look that pearls have. First time I'd seen pearling, so I watched for a while :D

Wonder why its stopped now though :(

Tony

Always does this after you fill it up or a water change! Perform a water change and you will see it happening again! Doesn't mean its pearling though ;)

Tonser said:
Temp is now 26º, where as it was at 21º last night when pearling - could it be that ?
There has been a discussion about this, have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4206

Back