• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonys 'Nano Rouge' 14L

Re: Tonsers 14L Nano Rouge

saintly said:
the tank has a real nice summer vibe to it. photography is great mate, i see a different use of light?....

Thanks Mark, and well spotted :D Just hand holding a little flashhead off to the left of the tank - works nicely with that background, and freezes the fish well.

Tourney said:
Might start another journal myself soon

We cant have too many journals Tourney - look forward to seeing it :D

aaronnorth said:
With the P.Helferi, you can leave the stems on or you can wait till they get a bit larger and then cut them off and replant them. Looking good.

Thanks Aaron.

Superman said:
Looking good, although I'd be a bit concerned once the harlequins get bigger.
I'm thinking about having a large shoal of these in the new tank Clark, they shoal so well together and play in the filter outlets too :D Once these 12 grow too big for the nano, I'll move them to the big tank, and get some more babies for the nano. That way they shall be forever small :lol:

Look at some of the micro rasbora species mate! Coffee bean's are awesome :)

Here are some of mine:

CRW_4766.jpg

Disaster this morning - came in to find only 8 copper harlequins in the tank, and the other 4 on the desk / floor :( Never thought about them being jumpers :oops:

So the remaining 8 are now enjoying the space in the main tank, and I'm on the look out for a different shoaling fish for this one. Thanks for the microrasbora tip Steve - I like the kubotai's but no-one near me stocks them.

Are microrasboras prone to jumping ?

Tony

Gutted Tony :( Sorry to hear that. Out of interest, it might be worth checking your water quality. Bad water can sometimes cause fish to jump. I've only seen my harlies jump once, and that was last time I moved them. Luckily the tank was half empty, but it still managed to jump about 2" or 3"!

As for the micro rasbora, my coffee beans have been in an open tank for some time. I haven't seen any jump, but to be honest I've not looked down the back of the large vinyl shelf unit the tank is sitting on for some time. They seem pretty chilled out though...

George may be able to comment further, I believe he kept mosquito rasbora (not sure of the correct name) in one of his tiny nanos :)

Agh, good to know, I've got all my Harlequins from the main tank in my Nano cube at the moment! :wideyed:

Sorry to hear about your losses, although I think their flighty nature is something to do with why they shoal so well, it probably also goes hand-in-hand with a tendency to jump :(.

I've got a glass cover over most of it but there's a 2 inch gap where the pipes and wires feed in.

It's quite heavily planted and there's lots of surface cover though so hopefully they'll feel safe for now, once I've got my main tank settled in they'll be going back into there, but that'll be a few weeks still... (fingers crossed)

Matt

They are jumpers. I think they lay their eggs on the underside of overhanging leaves. I won't keep them in open aquariums any more :( . (I had R hengeli - beautiful fish :( .)

Mark

Thanks guys. The other 8 seem really happy in the discus tank - they look tiny in there !

I dont think its a water quality issue Steve - I've been doing 30% changes every other day, with the same prepared RO / HMA mix I use for the discus. They are very 'flight' fish - always active, so I guess its just their tendancy (esp. if they lay eggs on leaves).

I've been playing around with flow in the nano today, as theres one particular area where the HC is doing well, and a couple of areas where it is not doing so well.

Will report with more at the weekend. ;)

Cheers

Tony

Think any fish can be a potential jumper.
Few weeks ago i woke up to a rummynose flapping about on the floor!!! Then a couple of days later, a laeticara dwarf cichlid!!!

They both fine.

Been a while....but we're at Day 57 in the Nano tank :D

I was away all of last week so moved the whole setup next to the discus tank so it was easier for the house sitters to feed and dose both together. Unfortunatley I did it so late the night before we went that I forgot it would be in sunlight for about 3 hours a day (and typically it was a very sunny week :( ) That coupled with apparent overfeeding judging by the amount of food in amongst the HC has led to an outbreak of BBA, and I think staghorn too though I'd appreciate your thoughts on that one :?: The tank side facing the sun was also thick with green dust algae. The strange thing was everything was pearling away, which it hasnt done before - more light I guess ?

So I set about cleaning things up, scraping the glass, and trimming the E Acicularis which had algae growth, and have everything back in the darkness of my studio now :D

This is my 1st algae outbreak, so I've been reading up on things. I've started dosing Excel as of yesterday and will do 50% water changes daily to help clear it out. What else would folks suggest ? Add some amanos or otos? Do a blackout ? Should I be removing all the bba manually (which I'm not sure how to do in amongst the HC, and on the rocks as they'll move easily) ?

Here are the pics, any suggestions gratefully received.

Tony

Nano25_MUS1114.jpg

Nano21_MUS1119.jpg

Nano22_MUS1124.jpg

Nano23_MUS1120.jpg

Nano24_MUS1123.jpg

Bugger :( Easy Carbo directly squirted onto surrounding areas should help (turn filter off for 5 mins and use a syringe if possible).

These things are sent test us, and when you manage to recover from it it's a great sense of achievement :)

Hi Tony,

Don't dispair, my little nano was looking like that around the time I started looking at this forum! :) (mainly due to a lack of maintainance, and infrequent water changes, and lack of fertilisation and co2) I tried some of the techniques on here such as using easycarbo, weekly water changes, dosing ferts weekly (not doing EI totally, although it does get a 50% water change each week) and also like they say above, judicious pruning.

It took me about 4-6 weeks but I got it back to rights eventually and I'm pretty happy with it now, the only algae I have is a bit of GSA on the heater/filter and on the glass when I forget to close the blinds and it gets direct sunlight for a few hours in the morning (as also happened to me recently! :))

I'm a bit concerned about when I go away as I won't be able to dose it for a week, but I think I'll give it a clean just before, maybe dose a little higher on easycarbo and keep the blinds closed, then deal with any probs when I get back, hoping to have my auto-doser working on the main tank before I go! :)

Good Luck!

Matt

Carefull with the spot treatment that you don't over dose EC and kill your shrimp ;)
Soon enough it will be looking good again, keep us posted :)

The BBAs and staghorn are both generaly due to poor co2 leavels. So, the use of organic carbon as excel or easycarbo would be good. Also adding more co2 is a option to think of. But don't forget to keep the balance beetween light, co2 and fertelization!

PS: the layout looks very good for a nano ;)

Diogo Matias said:
PS: the layout looks very good for a nano

Thanks Diogo :D

Day 71 now....

The algae is gradually clearing - lots of water changes, the excel dosing and some pruning have seen to that :D Its still hanging on in the lower regions under the rocks, as the excel doesnt get into there so much, but I think I'm winning now :D

The HC is covering at a rate now, which I'm really pleased about, as I didnt think it would take. I guess it just took a while to adjust to submersed.

Here are some pics just taken.

Tony

Nano29_MUS1153.jpg

Nano28_MUS1156.jpg

I also added an amano from the Discus tank:
Nano27_MUS1159.jpg

Wow that looks awsome. Nice sense of depth for such a small tank. Well done for beating the algae and persisting with the HC. Is the lotus gonna be a problem, sizewise ?

How is the Eheim 2026 ? is it ok in your tank, I'm thinking of getting one for my 30 l nano

Regards T

Your tank is beautiful and I love your photo's. If that was sitting on my desk, I'd spend many happy hours gazing into it :D

Back