• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonys 'Peacocks Crypt' - The End

Re: Tonsers 200L Optiwhite

Much as it pains me to wait even longer to get this tank up and running, I've decided to hang fire until after I've visited TGM next weekend.

I'm hoping the inspiration and information that I'll gain there will make the setup better :D

Watch this space (but not for another week :lol: )

Tony

Well it was quiet in the studio on Friday, so I pulled the blinds, put on a bit of John Lee Hooker ( :wideyed: ) and let the scaping begin :) 3 days of tweaking later, and here it is :D

One tank in particular that I really love is Luis Moniz 90*45*45 tank with the clear sand foreground , and the upright woods with bolbitis / fissidens on them - http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3583&start=0. So that coupled with an intoxicating weekend (in more ways than one!) at TGM last week, and Georges demo tank have inspired this scape :D

Tech Specs first (the timer settings are for the initial couple of weeks):

Tank - 100w x 45d x 55h 10mm Optiwhite, rimless and braceless (200L)
Filtration -Tetratec EX1200 & Eheim 2075 filters (total 2400 LPH), PM glassware
CO2 - AquaMedic 1000 CO2 reactor, FE pressurised, solenoid on timer (8am - 2pm)
Heat - Hydor 300w inline 26ºC
DayLights - Arcadia luminaire 4 x 39w T5HO (2 x Hagen Power-Glo, 2 x Hagen Life-Glo) on timers ( 2tubes only 10am - 4pm)
Moonlight - 18w Interpet MoonBlue T8 on timer (9am - 10.15am and 3.45pm - 7pm)
Substrate -ADA Aquasoil Malaya (18L), ADA Sarawak sand (5L), TGM gravels, 20 X TPN+ capsules & mulm embedded
Hardscape - Fossilised wood, Redmoor roots
Fertiliser - will be AllInOne Solution, dosed daily

So here goes with the hardscaping:

1. Take one clean tank...
Optiwhite1_MUS1333.jpg

2. Fill with Aquasoil Malaya...
Optiwhite2_MUS1334.jpg

3. Position the redmoor roots (thanks Steve ;) )...
Optiwhite3_MUS1343.jpg

4. Add some fossilised wood...
Optiwhite4_MUS1358.jpg

5. Replace the foreground malaya with Sarawak sand...
Optiwhite5_MUS1362.jpg

6. And finally, refine with graded gravels...
Optiwhite6_MUS1370.jpg

So there you go, simple as that :lol:

The planting will be happening later this week, but in the meantime here are some more pics of the hardscape :

Optiwhite11_MUS1380.jpg

Optiwhite8_MUS1388.jpg

Optiwhite7_MUS1387.jpg

Optiwhite10_MUS1380.jpg

As always, comments and critiques are always welcome (just dont recommend changing anything :lol: ) :D

Cheers

Tony

That's some fantastic hardscape you've got going on there Tony! I love the graded gravel, it really gives the scape some extra depth. Really looking forward to seeing this filled out. Any thoughts on what plants you'll be using?

Re: Tonsers 200L Optiwhite (now featuring hardscape !)

Looks stunning Tony! That wood has got real character :) Can't wait to see it full of plants now :D I hope the wood hasn't dried out mate, just be warey when filling :)

now that's the best hardscape layout i've seen on this site for sometime. truly, very special indeed. the wood is killer mate.

you'll have fun keeping he sand etc in some kind of working order though

Thanks guys. I'm pleased with it so far, but its the plants that'll make or break it, and thats the tricky bit :wideyed:

The wood soaked for a few days last week Steve, but now that I've taken 4 days to position it I think it might have dried out so I'm going to put a rock or 2 on it, and fill it very gradually with my fingers crossed !

As for plants, well there's going to be lots of mosses and bolbitis on the woods, and some crypt balansae and cyperus helferi coming up through the rear. The foreground is undecided as yet, though I've got E Tennelus, E Acicularis and E Parvula I can use. Maybe small crypts and pellia too ? Any suggestions are welcome as I dont have anywhere near enough plant knowledge :lol:

Cheers

Tony

saintly said:
now that's the best hardscape layout i've seen on this site for sometime. truly, very special indeed. the wood is killer mate.

you'll have fun keeping he sand etc in some kind of working order though

:oops: Thanks Mark, that means alot :D I havent had two substrates before so I'm in for a steep learning curve I suspect :lol:

Cheers Sam, I'm feeling the pressure already !!!

Tony

Really liking that hardscape, I long for the day I can treat myself to an optiwhite tank!

Great hardscape Tony, that really worked out very well, has you say the planting is going to make it ;) looking forward to seeing it planted, so far 5 stars!!!

What a nice set of hardscape! One thing though, the grey rocks are all too similar in size and the fact that the are very evenly spaced and point all the same way really throw the eye. It'd be a huge improvement if they where more varied in size and postitioning, not beeing afraid to lie them on each other and stack bits on slopes till you have a nice varied set.

Wow, that hardscape is top class mate! As Garuf said, the stones are a bit clinical and to osimilar in size, just adding a few different sizes for a bit more variety would improve it much more but apart from that this should prove to be a great aquascape.

I've just read this start to finish and all I can say is,all that waiting,all that wood from the States and you used Redmoor!!!!! :lol:
(looks damn fine though).

Great start Tony. Any chance of a macro shot? :lol:

What is the planned planting, or have you already mentioned it?

Dave.

Back