• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Too much flow??

toadass

Hi all

I have a 200 litre tank with 2 filters running, total flow is around x15 turnover with a JBL e1500 lph, and Eheim that runs 1000lph.
The Eheim has a reactor running through it with FE as CO2,

My question is does both filters have to be running 24/7? Surely the x10 turnover is for when there is CO2 in the tank...Right???

I was planning on putting the Eheim on a timer to come on just before the CO2, the reason for this is the better half has purchased herself a Betta who isn't too keen on the flow, i was just gonna calm the flow down a bit to help the fish out.

Or is there something completely wrong with running it on a timer?

Many Thanks guys
Toad

The problem i can see assuming that your talking about an external filter, is how are you going to prime it if its on a timer?

Rowly

Rowly said:
The problem i can see assuming that your talking about an external filter, is how are you going to prime it if its on a timer?

Rowly
You would only need to prime it if you physically disconnect it, surely? With all the pipe work connected none of the water is going to move anywhere.

Tho, how would shutting it off affect the bacteria colony? Surely not having fresh water/O2 rolling over the media would have a negative effect?

As others have stated above having a power head or circulation pump running on a timer is probably an easier solution.

Back