• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Too much light?

Simon D

I'm about to put 110w (increase from 30w)on a 60ltr, or 20usgal ,tank. I've just bought the interpet twin T5 compact starter and two 55w lamps.

It is moderately planted. I have FE CO2 and dose EI.

I know this sounds rediculously high and works out to 5.5 wpg (with T5s!), but according to Aaronnorth's excellent tutorial on light and link to light thresholds http://www.rexgrigg.com/mlt.html, I will have just under 30 lux per square inch. This puts into the "high light" bracket and even not the "very high light" bracket.

This said I am not sure what to expect. Will it be an alotment for algae? I'm thinking that I'll just shoehorn plants in and hope their growth will prevent algae. Any ideas of what to expect and/or preventative measures.

I usually have 9 - 10 hour photoperiod would reducing this help?

Doesn't matter what that Rex's article says. lol

110W over 60Litres is very high light IMO!!!

Thats going to a battle royal to keep on track.

I was once intending to put a 2 x 55W Pc over my 125Ltr but in the end opted not to.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Doesn't matter what that Rex's article says. lol

110W over 60Litres is very high light IMO!!!

Thats going to a battle royal to keep on track.

I was once intending to put a 2 x 55W Pc over my 125Ltr but in the end opted not to.

AC

Well it's going to happen. I've bought the unit (possibly unwisely) and I'm going to put it to the test, I'm awaiting delivery. I know it's going to be a challenge the only problem is I don't know what the challenge is going to be. I assume algae? Any advice (other than don't do it) would be appreciated.

Anyone know if the twin compact will work with just one tube, if I hit problems can I just remove a tube and run on one? Just a contingency thought.

As far as I remember from when I was looking at them it is both or none!!!

The challenges are going to be keeping on top of the CO2 and ferts because the light is going to be driving the plants to grow very fast. CO2 will be the hardest. You can eliminate the nutrients by dosing EI so you then know that it is CO2 that's the problem.

Will be a lot of pruning to do :)

AC

I use the twin 36W PC T5 Interpet unit on my 3 Gallon, been on since before xmas and all good so far.

Daryn said:
I use the twin 36W PC T5 Interpet unit on my 3 Gallon, been on since before xmas and all good so far.

now that's what I call "Very High Light" What's the setup? CO2, fert dosing, biomass?

Co2 about 3-4BPS and Drop Checker yellow at lights on, im dosing james PMDD+PO4 at 4ml daily and at least one WC a week, high biomass with Myriophyllum mezianum, Rotala rotundifolia, Pogostemon helferi, Glossostigma elatinoides, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Java moss, the tanks a 14-8-8 inch Clearseal with the Eden external filter with filter floss, bio rings and purigen, and the photoperiod is 6 hours 4PM-10PM.

simondoherty1 said:
Daryn said:

The 36w pc tubes are 16 inches in length (plus filtting = about 18inches),to get this over a three gallons tank it must be a long thin shallow tank. 18 x 7 x 7"? What are your dimensions?

EDIT: just re-read your post 14x8x8. Must be an overhead luminaire with lots of oversplill of light! Is this right?

The T5-PC bulbs sit on brackets directly over the water about an inch from the top of the tank covered with a reflector, there is obviously some light spill but its not as bad as you would expect from a very crude quick fix. Its the interpet twin 36W starter unit and clear brackets on the tank ends for the bulbs to rest.

Back