• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Top to bottom external filter for cleanup

DaveWatkin

Does anyone know of a cheap top to bottom external filter to use for cleaning up carpet and moss trimmings?

Currently using a spare oase but as I'm sucking the surface it ends up constantly airlocked. So need a top feed bottom out (with pump on out) filter to prevent this.

Low powered as it's only for sucking up cuttings and is used it a range of tanks from 20l up.

Go old school and use a syphon gravel vac
That was my previous method but on a full mc carpet trim in a 20 litre tank leads to a 500% water change at least haha
Filter method works well on the moss as it’s all submerged and sinking but it’s the surface clean up of MC that causes airlock. It would still eventually be an issue in a bottom driven filter as it would fill with air over time but at least it would last longer and I could just stop it and allow it to refill itself and vent.

APS has one that might work but I may think about making my own for this.

I just use my surface skimmer to collect all the floating bits to there and net it out. Got an APS skimmer for £8 takes less than an hour to collect it all so can just put it in temporarily after trimming

Back