• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Total Newbie - needs loads of advice

JoanneE

Seedling
Hi everyone,

I’m fairly new to fish keeping and, as my angelfish outgrew their old tank, I’m trying to set up a new 30 gallon tank and, at the same time, learn the basics about keeping plants and doing a bit of aquascaping etc.. I have attached some pictures of my tank so far.

The problem is that I still have so many questions and I’m getting quite a few things wrong.

Firstly, I have thin plexiglass on top of my aquarium, so I bought a NICREW ClassicLED Aquarium Light (Amazon product ASIN B072J96Y5F). I noticed that the plexiglass was bending quite dramatically after I put the light on, and soon after the tank’s glass centre brace cracked (I have now repaired this). I am guessing that this could have been because I got the wrong light, or had it too close to the glass?

I’m using an old yellowish tube light at the moment. The light in the tank is all wrong and the few starter plants that I have bought are starting to brown around the edges. I’m guessing that the first thing I need to fix is the lighting? Could anyone take a few minutes to look at the pictures of my tank and give me some advice on the best (affordable) light/lights to get.

Because of where the tank is, I would prefer to not have a light hovering too high overhead, as it would look awkward.

If anyone reading this also has any advice on what companion fish I should get for my two male angelfish, this would also be appreciated.
20200825_202920.jpg
20200827_184436.jpg

How did you place the light on your tank? Did you use the metal brackets on the two side edges? If so I’d be very surprised if the light caused your centre brace to crack.
It would help if you could provide the dimensions of your tank.
in terms of companion fish, I’d go for some tetras. Glowlight tetra, or Neon tetra will go well with your angelfish.

Thanks for your response and your suggestions of companion fish. Yes, the light was sitting on its metal brackets.

Even if the light didn't cause the break, I think I'll need a new light anyway, as the light was too bright for the tank and it always really distressed and terrified the fish and it was a very harsh, cold light.

The dimensions of my tank are:
L 121 cm (4 foot)
W 31 cm (1 foot)
H 41 cm (16 inches)

Any ideas for lights would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Ok, thanks. What do you class as affordable for lighting? I’d suggest something like the TriSpec HO LED lights. You can also purchase a Bluetooth timer/controller for them with which you can dim the lights slightly.
the reason your fish were distressed because they’ve got no shaded areas when the lights are in full. You might consider some floating plants, or large leaved plants like Amazon swords that will create shade when they grow.

Plexiglas does tend to curl up like that. You could fit some strengthening strips to the edges, using whatever DIY skills you have. One easy way is to use something like these;
Binder strips
You can get a dimmer for your light, eg; Dimmer .
I would go for some Corydoras as well as tetras to complete your fish population.

Welcome. Angels can be slightly unpredictable in that they will depending see a small tetra as food. I usually in the past have had them with deeper bodied tetras or barbs Although in a well planted tank neons could be ok Steer away from finippers like serpae tetras

You're in the right place to start learning, that's for sure but just remember that people have different ideas about the correct way to do things so listen to everyone and see what makes sense to you and expect things to go wrong from time to time along the way - well that's my experience anyway.

How have you repaired the broken centre brace? I'd probably want to address this and make sure the repair was substantial as I imagine the aquarium relies upon this for strength and the last thing you want is that cracking.

Have you thought about adding a mesh screen on a frame instead of plexiglass, assuming it's jumping fish that you have it there for.

I always think it's a good idea to post as much information as you can about your setup when asking questions; dimensions of the aquarium, filtration and lighting are probably the 3 most basic to start with.

Have these 2 angels always lived alone? (or even for the last several months)

Adult angels can be (very) territorial (deliberately ramming other fish to kill them), or happily hunting/chasing down those tasty treats you added, even attempting to consume Otocinclus and Corydoras (not very successfully as the stiffened fin/spine halted progress - of course by then the partially swallowed fish is doomed but hopefully the angel survives (releasing the softening too big morsel)) ... so proceed with caution

I’d not add other fish without having some dense planting or wood/rock crevices for smaller fish

Remove angel fish
Rearrange tank
Add new fish and give them time to acclimate to their new surroundings (generally wait a day)
Return angel fish the next morning

Of course I’ve also had angel fish that were ... well ... angels :)

Back