• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tough plants with fish

Ruthi

Seedling
I love my rainbow cichlids, but they do like to do a bit of 'gardening'.

I put them in a tank with Vallis and Amazon Swords. The vallis has been mowed down as if by sheep, :wideyed: :( but the Amazon Swords are doing fine, and remain untouched.

So my question is, is there anything else, preferably a bit taller, that is suitable for growing with these naughty fish?

Ruth

Now you're asking !!

I've got a few plants in with my Oscar, he's left the Vallis Nana alone as it is planted behind decor. But there is also Saggitaria, Aponogeniton crispus, Anubias, Java fern & (surprisingly) Eichhornia Azurea.

Think it might be a bit of trial and error to see what they don't like though.

For tough plants I'd give Anubias, Java ferns and Crinums a go. The first two can be tied onto wood or stones too so the chcilds can't move them too much, and roots won't be damaged if they do. Crinums have tough leaves and produce wide-spreading roots so will not be able to be dug up once established. They also have really long leaves so form cover and would be good in a big deep tank too.

According to the tropica website the following are 'fish safe'

Anubias barteri ''coffeefolia''

Anubias barteri var. angustifolia (lanceolata)

Anubias barteri var. barteri

Anubias barteri var. caladiifolia ''1705''

Anubias barteri var. nana

Bolbitis heudelotii

Crinum calamistratum

Crinum natans

Crinum thaianum

Echinodorus osiris

Echinodorus x barthii

Microsorum pteropus

Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow'

Microsorum pteropus 'Philippine'