• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tourney's Osaka 260 journey

StevenA

Been a member of this forum for about a year now, and thought it was about time i put myself out there for some hopefully constructive critisism!!
Collected my Fluval Osaka 260 from Dan Crawford's house on Saturday, and it was well worth the 4 hour round trip(including a little Chef stop)!! :D

Here it is although not quite in situ just yet.

JournalOsaka013.jpg

Going to be using the supplied 4 x 39w lighting, pressurised Co2, my current Fluval 205, plus a new 305 which should arrive on Monday, definately TPN+, and considering going full EI.

Will post more pics this week as i progress, and i'm sure you'll all give me some idea's that i hadn't even thought of 8)

Im glad you have found UKaps worth sticking with Tourney. Thanks.

This is quite a large tank, and have seen it in situ at my best pal Dans place. And tourney, that a hell of a tank to fill. Think hight with this or you will have an odd looking aquascape with too much open water in the higher regions of the tank.

Good luck and ill keep my eyes on this even if I dont post much.

Happy planting.

Yea Graeme i know exactly what you mean about the height, i saw one of these at a place in Henlow in Bedfordshire at an MA, and fell in love with it, so i was over the moon when Dan and I agreed a price :D But when i got it home and it stood right next to my Rio 180 i realised just how much bigger it was :wideyed:

I picked up some nice peices of wood today from another MA near Cambridge, and i'll post some pics this week, so we'll see how this one turns out. But i'm not rushing as i want to do it right ;)

Good attitude to have.

Think dynamics with your wood. You can get good hight with your greens by using nice ferns, bolbitus, moss's and stems. Its not impossible just a little for thought and careful positioning of your wood. A high 'U' shaped composition would work very well in these tank. Ill be interested to see what you come up with.

I've liked the Osakas ever since I first saw one. I think it is more the cabinet (in the colour that you have) and light setup I liked than the tank itself (no problems with the tank but one tank is the same as the next to me. lol) but they are one of the only setups that actually looks like it meant to be part of the furniture in your house.

Good luck with this. Hopefully will have a great scape to compliment the beauty of the setup.

AC

I measured my chimney alcove to see if an Osaka 260 would fit when I saw Dan was selling it. And it fitted! But then you bought it... :( :lol:

Still, an option for the future. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Is that your 180 on the right of the photo? Looks like a nano!

Graeme Edwards said:
This is quite a large tank, and have seen it in situ at my best pal Dans place. And tourney, that a hell of a tank to fill. Think hight with this or you will have an odd looking aquascape with too much open water in the higher regions of the tank.
Listen to the man, some wouldn't believe it but he actually knows what he's talking about LOL
These are some of the biggest mini landscape rocks i could get my hands on (until Mountain Rock came along) and they are dwarfed!
IMG_1509.jpg

I rushed this scape out of enthusiasm and regretted it everyday since, i didn't even get the substrate level before planting about a million pots of HC. Lessons learned though!
Good luck with it all.

Hi Tourney,nice tank that crawford guy is too kind :lol: ,i have a tall tank 60cm high so just a little tip to help you if you read in the tropica catalogue they give you a idea of potential plant height ,i have found the best size to go for for if you dont want too much trimming is about 40 to 50cm because with good substrate and co2,and plant nutrition you can add 10 to 15 cm more growth,good luck regards john

Bit of an update. Had the day off work today, mainly because the wife was teaching all day so i had to do the school runs, A.M AND P.M. Sheer coincidence that i have a rather nice setup to get on with :D

Stripped the Rio 180 down completely, sorted out the plants to keep.

wood003.jpg

Saved as much Rio water as i possibly could. Washed all the new gravel, hopefully got most things straight in my head :?

Had to wait until about 5-30 pm til my neighbour Dean came home from work to help me move the tank into position.

insitu003.jpg

Got the Tetraplant substrate in and the new fine gravel and sloped it from front to back.

insitu008.jpg

And here's the wood in some sort of position, maybe not the final one, but i quite like it.

insitu009.jpg

That's it for now, any suggestions?

Left of center always works well. I personally think you need more wood and don't be afraid to really ramp up the substrate.

I've got several more slightly smaller peices of wood from my Rio 180 setup, so i shall be using those too. They do have some hair algae on them which i want to clean off before putting them in. I've heard about using a bleach and water solution to clean hardscape, is that correct and if so how would i go about it, do you soak or scrub or both :?

Back