• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tourney's Osaka 260 journey

Hi Dan, i do like what you've done there, but i also like the more upright style that i did :) When you say it needs more wood, do you mean in the same area as the rest or maybe on the left. And also wood of the same size or maybe smaller? And by the way i do like that Dennerle nano you've done, was it the one on the coffee table in the corner that i saw last Saturday?

Tourney said:
When you say it needs more wood, do you mean
Id say another two pieces like you already have and arrange them all in mound composition on the right side of the tank. So in essence, just adding more to your existing layout. It's only a suggestion, it's what i'd do if it was mine, oh, it was mine :lol:
Tourney said:
And by the way i do like that Dennerle nano you've done, was it the one on the coffee table in the corner that i saw last Saturday?
Yep ;)

Another update, started addind a few plants, Java fern and some dwarf Sag.

progress001.jpg

Got the Co2 and the 205 working

progress008.jpg

Couple of days later started adding more plants. Moved all the dwarf sag to the front and added some Blyxa to the right ( thanks to steve2tanks) :D

progress011.jpg

Got the rather nice Rhinox 5000 diffusor thanks to Superman :lol:

progress012.jpg

I have also added a Fluval 305, another peice of wood to the rest, started EI dosing, and will soon have an FE courtesy of Dan C. Will post more pictures soon. Comments welcome ;)

Tourney said:
Got the rather nice Rhinox 5000 diffusor thanks to Superman :lol:

progress012.jpg

Glad the blyxa has been put to good use :!:

Havent read the whole thread but have you tried it with a background to hide the tubes?

Yea looks nice, but could do with a bit more really, nudge, nudge, ;) ;) if you know what i mean!

Thought about a background, but to be honest i think i'll just use the plants to disguise the pipes etc... Already had some growth on the Hygrophillia so i'll see how that progresses. I may use a background in the future, but i'd rather not if possible.

Superman said:
That's a nice diffuser!
Keep an eye on the bubbles, they should be misting from all across the ceramic ring. It looks like its coming from an area. To combat that, clean it using 50/50 water/bleach. Then rinse and soak over night.

Also try and get the mist the go all across the tank using the flow.

Maybe i should reposition the diffusor nearer the back so it's closer to the filter inlet. You can't really see it in this picture, but the bubbles do get blown around quite a bit :) And the drop checker solution is now a light green colour, which i think is about right.

I'm only using one of the light units at the moment, like you say until everything settles down. And i have more plants on order, which should be here this week.

Definately will Steve 8) Have ordered some Cyperus helferii, and some more Sagitaria subulata. Not sure if I like the Rotala in the back right corner, maybe buy something else like Ludwigia sp. maybe :?

Went to one of my local Maidenhead Aquatic retailers today and picked up a couple of pots of Cyperus helferii, so have moved some of the Vallis in the back left corner to make room for it, but to be honest i might just remove the Vallis altogether. Of course this depends how the Cyperus does.
Will probably need to trim the Hygrophyllia polysperma 'rosanervig', and the Hygrophyllia augustifolia in the next week to ten days, so will post the trimmings in the for sale section just before i do the trim, probably just ask for donations to UKAPS for those though. :D
Still waiting for more dwarf sag for the foreground, but thanks to steve2tanks for sending me some more Blyxa for the front right hand side.
I am thinking of trying an all in one auto dosing system, similar to London Dragon's one, depending if I can find a dosing pump at the right price ;)
Will post some more pictures soon to show the progress.

Its looking good :) you still need more plants though and i think I only saw the 205 mentioned if thats the case more filtration/flow. Will look great when things start filling in :) Keep us posted

Thanks Paulo, I have got a Fluval 305 running now too, and am gradually increasing the plant mass ;) Stems are growing well too so that should help, and when I trim them I will use the tips mentioned in the Tutorial section.

The Dwarf sag has got quite a few yellowing leaves, but new growth coming through. Is this just the plants acclimatising themselves?

Dwarfsag004.jpg

Should I cut the old leaves away or just leave them where they are?

Thanks alot Dan, apreciate it :D Will cut the yellowing leaves off asap. Tank looking better now cos of the growth, can't wait to see the dwarf sag and the Blyxa start filling in too. Will post more pictures soon.

Just another quick update, progress seems good at this stage, 17 days on...

40209002.jpg

I will be trimming the stems this week as per the instructions in the tutorial, and some have already been bought from me in advance 8) The Rotala that is floating at the top arrived with no roots at all, so I am just trying to get some root growth before I plant it in the substrate.

Added the Cyperus helferii today from Plants Alive

40209005.jpg

I was thinking of maybe adding a Koralia pump to increase the circulation of the Co2 around the whole tank, any thoughts about this would be very welcome.

Tourney said:
The Rotala that is floating at the top arrived with no roots at all, so I am just trying to get some root growth before I plant it in the substrate.

just plant it mate, rotalala really isn't fussy about roots before being planted

Back