• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tourney's Osaka 260 journey

Tourney said:
What mixture do you use then Tony? And is it at 40 ml per day, as I saw that you use an Aquamedic sp3000 dosing pump?
Have a look at this post, its all there ;) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4596

Downloaded Nutricalc and ran the numbers which come out at

KNO3: 4.11g x 15 = 62g (rounding up)
K2SO4: 1.89g x 15 = 29g
KH2PO4: 1.16g x 15 = 18g
MgSO4: 10.64g x 15 = 160g
Trace: 0.72g x 15 = 11g
E300 Asorbic Acid: 1.4g
E202 Potassium Sorbate: 0.56g

Mixed in 1400ml of DI water and dosed at 40ml per day using an Aquamedic sp3000 dosing pump :D Should I add 10 or 20% on top of these figures in the final mixture?

Tourney said:
Mixed in 1400ml of DI water and dosed at 40ml per day using an Aquamedic sp3000 dosing pump :D Should I add 10 or 20% on top of these figures in the final mixture?
You can dose that and then adjust accordingly in the next batch if you think you under dosing, I always prefer to over dose than to under, so I added 20% on top. Over dosing causes no issues really if you keep the water changes in check and under dosing causes algae ;)

Tourney said:
Excellent thanks Tony How is your 320l looking now? And have you got the new tank yet?

No problem :D

The 320l is doing fine, though I havent seen any difference yet after 2 wks of EI :rolleyes: I've got a new scape in mind for it, but just have to work out whether I can do it with the discus in there or not. The new tank should be here by this time next week 8) and I've a nano underway too, time for another journal !

I'll be interested to see the effect your dosing has on the growth.

Cheers

Tony

Tourney said:
Excellent guys, thanks for the advice. If I get time this weekend I might try setting up the auto dosing pump :D Will let you know how it goes ;)
Great stuff, you will love it, best thing I done to my tank, now I don't have to worry about dosing anymore, and even stopped dosing EasyCarbo all together, haven't noticed any changes.

Finally got a chance to start testing the auto dosing system this morning :D The sp3000 is only dosing about 15ml in a minute so i'm guessing there's something not quite right with it :( When the timer switches it on it does'nt seem to have enough umph to push the liquid up the tube, it just keeps bobbing up and down, until I give it a hand and suck on the end of the tube, and then it carries on, on it's own :mad: I take it that sounds like a motor problem?

Tourney said:
Finally got a chance to start testing the auto dosing system this morning :D The sp3000 is only dosing about 15ml in a minute so i'm guessing there's something not quite right with it :( When the timer switches it on it does'nt seem to have enough umph to push the liquid up the tube, it just keeps bobbing up and down, until I give it a hand and suck on the end of the tube, and then it carries on, on it's own :mad: I take it that sounds like a motor problem?

Mine did that at first too, just lay the tubbing on the floor and get it working until the tube is properly filled, once that is done then put it on the tank. if not dosing properly after that you might need to replace the hose that goes inside the pump.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AQUAMEDIC-SP3000- ... 240%3A1318

Well I played around with it on Saturday and finally got it working, so it's now installed and dosing quite nicely :D

Here it is
dosing001.jpg

And here is the setup with the DIY "all in one" ferts and Paulo's holding bottle idea

dosing002.jpg

Added an extra 10% on top of all the calculations, so will see how it goes. Air pump comes on about 4 minutes before dosing starts, just for 2 minutes to agitate the mixture. :D

Thought I'd do an update as I haven't done one for several weeks :arghh: The auto dosing system is working a treat, and the plants are enjoying it too :D Removed most of the Aponogeton crispus on the right hand side, as it was going mental, and when I pulled it out one plant was about 2 1/2 feet long :wideyed: The Blyxa in the front right corner was really suffering, probably due to lack of light caused by the aforementioned plant! Moved the Blyxa to the left side before I decided to remove the Aponogeton. Added some more Crypts where the Blyxa had been. Been suffering with a bit of green algae, so hopefully things may improve now the flow is better due to the removal of those Apono's. Will give it a couple of weeks and if the algae does not clear up then I may increase the Co2 and maybe add extra ferts, please advise if that's not a good move ;) Anyway here's a pic taken today.

balloon013-1.jpg

The last remaining Aponogeton you can see will probably be removed soon too ;)

Looking good :) auto dosing makes life so much easier too ;) by the way I have stopped using the air pump since the last two mixtures I didn't use it and it worked fine, just use it to mix up the ferts when you making the solution, then just remove it. Up to you though just thought you should know its not really necessary, I am going to edit my post in the DIY section to that effectr.

Another update, can't beleive the last update was the begining of April :wideyed:

osakamay001copy.jpg

Not looking too bad IMO. The Cyperus helferii on the left has'nt really done too well, it's grown a bit i suppose, but never really looks too healthy, thinking of replacing it. The dwarf sag has gone nuts, and now needs a bit of thinning here and there as you can see. Had a small problem a week or two ago with the ferts. Wanted to clean out the Fluval 305 which is at the back of the right hand cabinet so I had to move the rest of the gear out of the cabinet including the fert bottle for the autodosing. Well anyway I must have tugged on the tube which delivers the ferts into the tank and pulled it off where it joins the check valve behind the tank. Looked at the fert bottle a few days later to find it had not used any :lol: Hence the new algae problem :rolleyes:

I seem to be on top of that now though, thankfully. I have recently won a Jaqno external Co2 reactor on eBay, so I'm looking forward to setting that up, and while I'm at it I might replace the ribbed hoses too :D

Back